Unlocked iPhones in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wutisupmonSD, Nov 3, 2009.

1. wutisupmonSD macrumors newbie

wutisupmonSD

Hello all, quick question for anyone who has experience in dealing with foreign-bought iPhones. I've heard that unlocked iPhones can be bought in Hong Kong, and I'm just wondering what equivalent American price I could expect to pay for one. Additionally, would it work? Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. watergun macrumors regular

If you have friends living in Hong Kong, you can ask them to help you to buy direct from Apple online shop. Price is approximately US$696 for 16GB and US$812 for 32GB. Watch out for the delivery time tho. As of now, Apple ships within 1-2 weeks. Expect to pay premium if you can find physical local shops who have iPhone in stock.

It is factory unlocked so it will work with any carriers.

3. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I can get imports and they are indeed factory unlocked. I do however think they are expensive and not really needed. Unless you absolutely must have an unlocked iPhone I would suggest a software unlock.

Since blackra1n is out now, and usually doesn't take long after a new release to come out again I don't see why anyone would want to pay so much more for a factory unlocked phone.
    But don't let me stop you, if you want one then get one. Beats waiting for a software unlock I guess.

$975 for 32GB 3GS and $845 for 16GB 3GS - I think these are crazy prices. But people still ask me for them.

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Where'd you get those numbers? Officially unlocked 3GS's cost about $5400 (about $700 US) for a 16GB and about $6300 (about $810) for a 32GB.

I think you're just marking them up- that's why they're so expensive :rolleyes:

5. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Those are what I get them for in USD. People pay it, but I still advise against it if possible. I don't make anything on them either.
    I think they cost more because of shipping. They're slightly less if I purchase some parts at the same time because shipping is at least $25 which is a real pain in the butt.