Unlocked iPhones in Stores

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zach23, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Zach23 macrumors regular

Can you buy unlocked iPhone 4s from the actual apple store or can you only buy unlocked phones from the online apple store?

Thanks,
    Zach

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

In the US?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they sell unlocked iPhones in the states.

If ur reffering to elsewhere idk.

4. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

carrier unlocked iPhones can be purchased in store and online.

This assumes that you are purchasing within a country where they are available. New Zealand, Canada, Hong Kong to name a few.
    For a complete list please click HERE

Unlocked iPhones are not available through US Apple Stores or purchases through the US Apple Store online.

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If you live in a country that sells the iPhone and it ISN'T the US, you're golden for the most part.

You can buy a factory unlocked iPhones from another country via sites like eBay, but expect to be a much larger amount than even an unsubsidized phone. Also, if that phone were to have any problems you would have to take it to an Apple Store in the country of origin.

6. Zach23 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah my bad I mean factory unlocked like in Canada, UK, etc...
    Online it says you can buy them online but it doesn't mention if you can buy them unlocked in the store...
    Anybody know?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot buy unlocked phones for Apple in the USA at all. Online, on the phone, in store, anywhere.

8. Zach23 thread starter macrumors regular

I know, I know. I'm not talking about USA. I'm talking about the carrier/factory unlocked ones in countries such as Canada, France, UK, HK.

9. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Yeah you probably can walk into one of those stores and purchase a factory unlocked iPhone. But like I said, if it breaks you have to return to said country to get it repaired. So either make an international friend, or trust that a phone bought abroad (or on eBay) will never break.

10. Zach23 thread starter macrumors regular

Probably?
    Are ALL the phones in Canada unlocked? Even the ones you buy subsidized for Rogers for example?