Unlocked Italian 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdylan, Jul 29, 2008.

1. jdylan macrumors regular

jdylan

Sorry if this is an obvious question:

So, I have an offer to buy an unlocked 3G from a dude in Italy while I am here. If I buy it, can I use it in the states? I am not in the states and don't know how the USA iPhones are, so would I be able to use mine with any carrier? Would it be as easy as, say..Verizon simply putting in a SIM card? I am only buying it because I travel a lot and would be able to use it in any country. Would Verizon even let me use it? Strange. Americans are always bragging about their "freedom", but I am laughing at how I can't even buy a pre-paid card to use my phone, like in, oh...90% of the rest of the world. Qatar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand....you might call these 3rd world nations, yet I have the freedon to use a pre-paid phone card with my cell phone without getting stuck in a *****ty 2-year, expensive contract.

2. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Yeah supposedly the 3G iPhones from Italy are unlocked... just be sure it's from Italy....

Edit: Verizon doesn't use GSM tech. It WON'T work on Verizon.

3. iVoid macrumors 65816

Additionally, no other US providers use the same 3G frequencies that the iPhone 3G supports. T-Mobile is close, but I don't recall if there's been any confirmation if an unlocked iPhone 3G workes on T-Mobile's US network.

So you could use it as an Edge phone on T-Mobile (and maybe others?), but not Verizon at all.

4. Inukami macrumors 6502

You can buy a ATT prepaid card and use it on an unlocked 3G Iphone, thats as much as i know. Not sure if you can use T-Mobile.

5. jdylan thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

Cool, I didn't know that. Last time I was in the states I remember looking around for some kind of pre-paid thing and couldn't find anyone that had it. Been out of the country for awhile though.

Thanks.

6. Inukami macrumors 6502

Yeah websites sell them, you can check ATT pay as you go prepaid service.