unlocked, jailbroken iPhone v. Android Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rscott505, Aug 13, 2010.

1. rscott505 macrumors member

The other day my sister finished a text message by saying that it was sent from her unlocked jailbroken iPhone 3G she purchased on craigslist.

I hate to sound naive, but I just don't understand why anyone would buy a used iPhone and jailbreak it, and unlock it. Why not simply buy a droid based phone. I mean, the form factor cannot be the reason why you would do this. If you want an app enabled touch screen phone, there are tons of android based app phones.

I'd ask my sister, but that would be useless.

I am not looking to start a fight here, I just want someone to explain to me the advantage an unlocked and jailbroken iPhone has over an android based phone.

Thanks.

2. Lka macrumors newbie

Well, a jb 3G is slowwwww.

I have a jb/ul 4 and I love it. Its more the hardware than anything. Apps are def built better for iPhones. Better games and such if you're into that. Like I said I like the 4 mainly for hardware reasons. I tried a captivate and hated it. Os wise it's really a matter of taste.

3. snoboarder8232 macrumors newbie

The real question is why the hell would she want an iPhone 3G?

4. uneek1 macrumors regular

Why buy a pair of used Jordan's on eBay instead of a brand new pair of shoes from WalMart?

She probably wanted the social status of having an iPhone.

5. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

iPhone still has the best on screen keyboard. The games are more fun too.

6. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Being able to use the phone and OS I enjoy with all the perks of installing and customizing what ever I'd like.

I don't care for Android very much, but that's based on my personal taste. I'm not trying to say one is universally better than the other. It's just that the iPhone is best for me.

7. awaizy macrumors newbie

I would take a newer generation Android phone. Something with the 2.2 Froyo would be pretty awesome compared to the old 3G...even jailbroken.

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I have both Android & iOS phones. They are both excellent. It really comes down to personal preference. The more I use Android the better I like it.

My current Android phones are a Droid X with a 4.3" display, and my Captivate with a 4.0" display. The reason I currently prefer Android is speed, wide range of apps (not so many stupid fart apps & sexual position apps like Apple) and it's large display.

For carrying in my pocket, the small iPhone 4 works well.

9. detroit1 macrumors regular

bc the android software sucks compared to ios. after 45 minutes with a captivate i still was unable to send a text without signing up for a google account. there was no way to get email other than google that i could find. no app store in sight and overall confusing. thats probably why

10. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Dell Streak Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Advantages?

iTunes syncing.
    App store.
    Compatibility with any previously owned iPod accessories (docks, chargers etc).
    Fantastic resale value.

Those are a few I can think of. The only person who can answer you wholeheartedly is your sister really.

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

Two things keep me away from Android phones:

1) The hardware design on them is nowhere near as nice as the iPhone. While specs on paper may be as good or in some areas even better, in reality I find that they are not elegant, as easy to use and as solid feeling. The touchscreens don't seem to work quite as smoothly either even on the latest phones. They are getting better though.

2) The software lacks the kind of attention to detail and polish that iOS has. Many things take more clicks than they should and I am not a fan of the whole multiple customizable desktop thing.

I've got an iPhone 4 on order from the UK, where you can get one factory unlocked. I'll consider jailbreaking it because jailbroken apps offer some things (like being able to use the volume buttons to take a picture) that aren't possible otherwise due to Apple's self-imposed artificial limitations. The reason I went with unlocked is because the Finnish operator (TeliaSonera) that offers iPhone4 had such awful pricing and ****** internet plans.