Unlocked or jailbroken iPhone 3gs on 4.1 software

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by babybuuutch, Jan 16, 2012.

1. babybuuutch macrumors member

I'm not sure how to tell the difference if my iPhone is unlocked or jailbroken but it's one of the two and I want to upgrade to ios 5 but I tried tonight to do so on redsnow and everything went fine to the end when my phone was suppose to restore it got stuck in recovery mode then the screen went black and it took me hours to get it back to normal. So if anyone has a better way that'll work to upgrade that'd be great.

2. b0bab0i macrumors regular

Your phone needs to be jailbroken in order to unlock the phone installing a program in cydia called ultrasn0w.

And Ultrasn0w only works on certain basebands.

If you have Cydia icon on you phone, that means you are jailbroken.

If you install ultrasn0w 1.2.5, then you are jailbroken.

We need more information about your phone in order to help. What is the baseband? What iOS is the phone currently on? What is the first 5 digits of the serial? Do you want to jailbreak and unlock or just jailbreak? what OS do you want to be on?

3. babybuuutch thread starter macrumors member

I'm on 4.1 and baseband 0.615.00. I read up and my phone is already both unlocked and jailbroken. I want to be on ios 5.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have to create a custom 5.0.1 using redsnow.
    Then restore to that and JB it.
    Then install ultrasnow to unlock.
    Do no restore or update to offiical 5.0.1 using itunes. Only custom 5.0.1

5. babybuuutch thread starter macrumors member

I did create a custom 5.0.1 using redsnow and everything went fine and it was restoring my phone where it would be in ios 5 but when it completed doing that, that's when my phone never came out of dfu mode and was completely blacked screen.

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Try to kick it ou of DFU with recover fix in Tiny Umbrella

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

See if you can kick it out of recovery with redsnow or Tinyumbrella.
    BTW, you had to put your iphone in Pwned DFU mode with redsnow and then try to restore to the custom ipsw.
    If you didnt do that use redsnow to put your iphone in pwned dfu and then open itunes and restore to that custom 5.0.1 again.

8. babybuuutch thread starter macrumors member

I got it out of black screen by restoring it to 4.1 where then I would get a 1015 error that I got out of using recboot. I'm pretty positive I put it in dfu mode before I restored. I'm afraid to attempted it again and get the same result that I did the first time. Does anyone know any youtube videos that are good to try and do it again?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, not DFU mode.
    "Pwned DFU MODE" by using redsnow. Its not the same.
    Open redsnow,go to extras and select enter pwned dfu mode.

10. babybuuutch thread starter macrumors member

Okay. I'm going to attempt to do this again. I'll keep you updated because I may need help.

----------

So basically I'm going to use redsnow to update to ios5 and then my phone will no longer be jailbroken and unlocked correct? So once it's restored to ios5 I'll just have to jailbreak/unlock it?

----------

http://www.coolestguyplanet.net/upg...-to-ios-5-and-preserve-baseband-with-redsn0w/

Are these good instructions on how to do so?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will first put your iphone in pwned dfu mode with redsnow.
    Only then you will be able to restore to the custom 5.0.1 you created before with redsnow.
    Then once there you will have to JB and if you restored to official 4.1 you might have to flash the ipad baseband again using redsnow.
    Then open cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock.

Here's a good tutorial also: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18932

12. babybuuutch thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.

13. babybuuutch thread starter macrumors member

I did all the steps but now it's saying my iphone is in recovery mode even though it's suppose to be restored and having ios 5 on it right now. What do I do?

----------

I did all the steps but now it's saying my iphone is in recovery mode even though it's suppose to be restored and having ios 5 on it right now. What do I do

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try to kick it out of recovery with redsnow, extras.
    Or using TU.

15. babybuuutch, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

babybuuutch thread starter macrumors member

With redsnow it says my device doesn't support untherthed options. And TU has left my screen with codes, saying that it is giving up so I put it in DFU mode.