Resolved Unlocked SE question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by myrtlebee, Apr 8, 2017.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I was able to purchase a new, sealed iPhone SE at a great discount on eBay. It has not shipped or arrived yet, however I do have serial number, model number, and IMEI number from photos.

I messaged the seller asking if this is a factory unlocked model from Apple or if it was from a particular carrier and unlocked later on. He did not know. Knowing that the phone is now unlocked, would it matter if it was originally an iPhone from another carrier if I intend to use it on Verizon? I believe I've heard that models from other carriers may not have all of the hardware / software to operate at 100% capacity on the Verizon network.

I apologize if this is an obvious question.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yes, it does matter. Depending on the intended carrier, the phone may not work, or not work as well due to band compatibility.

3. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

How would I determine it then?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You need to know the original carrier. Then you compare said carrier to your current carrier and their band use.

Just because a phone has been unlocked, that doesn't necessarily mean that one can use the phone on any carrier. Consider the CDMA / GSM forward and backward compatibility issue.

Edited to add: How was it unlocked? Is it a postpaid or a prepaid phone originally? Those things can make a difference.

5. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I am asking how I determine the original carrier. The seller doesn't know, but like I said- I have photos of the box with serial number, model number, and IMEI.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If I am not mistaken, the model number should narrow down the carrier to 2, if not the carrier itself. Look here.

7. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Nice. Thank you. Looks like I'm in luck because the photos of the box in the auction state that it is the MLY12LL/A model- which is the SIM free factory unlocked model I wanted. Sent an email to the seller to confirm that the photos are of the actual item I bought.