Unlocked SE work on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by got556, Mar 31, 2016.

1. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

Have a chance to get the SE (some extra spending money laying around and looking to ditch my Note 5). Was wondering if the unlocked SE will work good on Verizon (not the sim free one) and furthermore will I be able to drop down to 3G on VZW with the unlocked version? Thanks.

2. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

3. got556 thread starter macrumors 6502

got556

Smart asses need not apply to this thread. And yes, and next time why don't you link to the Apple page that actually shows the bands of each phone model...

But as you were, there is this tidbit on the page you linked asking whether the VZW/Sprint phones differ from AT&T/TMO phones and the response is this

Which doesn't really answer, whether an unlocked no carrier specified SE will work on VZW and still drop to 3G/CDMA...

4. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

it does answer if you READ, which you seem to be incapable of.

5. aohus macrumors 68000

to OP, yes im using the SIM free SE and it works out of box on Verizon. Plug and play.

6. got556 thread starter macrumors 6502

got556

Thank you.

7. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Yeah, the Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile model is the same as the SIM-free model, while the Sprint one is the odd one out. In some ways, this is nice, since you can get the SIM-free model and use it on most carriers and not jump through hoops. I know in the past the Verizon/Sprint models used to be the only ones with CDMA, but now it seems that they all can handle that—the LTE bands are more important.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

But you aren't looking for the SIM-free version?

9. got556 thread starter macrumors 6502

got556

I was confused. If what I am reading correctly, the "SIM Free version" is the unlocked version. Meaning you can use any SIM you want, minus Sprint. When I read SIM Free, I was thinking like old phones where you did not insert a SIM card, and there in lies my confusion.

10. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Ah - that makes sense. Yeah, basically these days almost every phone can take a SIM card (since LTE is SIM-based), so Apple's awkward "branding" as SIM-free just means that the slot isn't occupied with an existing SIM card and the phone is sold as unlocked. You'd need to jus transfer it from your old phone. As for the AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile versions, it's the same model number, but they come with new SIM cards for the respective carriers (and the AT&T/T-Mobile ones are sold locked). Due to an agreement with the FCC (I think is who it was), Verizon sells their phones with the SIM slot unlocked (which can further add to the confusion).