Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Agreed. At a certain point I would have to imagine it's simpler for inventory and production purposes to just churn out a chip with all frequencies. I compared the three models and it looks like the AT&T version has band 30, as mentioned, but other than that there is no difference. Does that make the AT&T model the "superior" version?

Also, I'm assuming the AT&T model (A1633/A1634) is GSM-only while the other U.S. model (A1688/A1687) has a dual GSM-CDMA chip?

I suspect you're right about having a single model. That said, AT&T alone has been rolling out Band 30, so maybe one of two things happened:

1) Apple had already arranged for a lot of chips without Band 30 already, so is basically putting those in a bunch of phones until supplies are exhausted given the relatively late notice from AT&T

2) There's some additional cost (other than existing inventory) to including Band 30 so they don't want to pay the additional royalty or whatever unless needed.

Bigger question - when will locked phones end? Every carrier is moving away from contracts and instead have the phones separate, with some sort of finance plan. The justifications for locking drop every year.

Reactions: Night Spring

junnny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Does anyone know if all the phones work equally well with regards LTE speeds no matter which carrier you buy it from and take it to, here, there, and everywhere -- Europe, US, Asia -- wherever they have LTE? Unlocking is a non-issue if it doesn't matter what carrier you buy it from. VZN sells unlocked phones, for example.

Don't feel bad if you don't know. I've asked three people at Apple if the phone they sell (the one that's not available yet) is a "one size fits all" phone and they can't tell you a thing about it -- what it's good for or why they sell it.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Does anyone know if all the phones work equally well with regards LTE speeds no matter which carrier you buy it from and take it to, here, there, and everywhere -- Europe, US, Asia -- wherever they have LTE? Unlocking is a non-issue if it doesn't matter what carrier you buy it from. VZN sells unlocked phones, for example.

Don't feel bad if you don't know. I've asked three people at Apple if the phone they sell (the one that's not available yet) is a "one size fits all" phone and they can't tell you a thing about it -- what it's good for or why they sell it.
Here's what I gathered from receiving my shiny new toy today. I bought an unlocked T-Mobile phone for my AT&T account. I went under the assumption that all but the T-Mobile ones were locked. The AT&T model has an additional LTE band, number 30, that no one else uses. My phone still gets LTE for AT&T without band 30. Apple lists this phone as compatible with a bunch of carriers internationally. So I would say you can safely get the T-Mobile phone with any carrier. If you want all the bands, get AT&T. That should still work with everything m, and from what I've been observing they're unlocked from the box too if ordered online.

CVUSA

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
So I'm clear on this - I'm looking at getting a new 6S. Because I'm not financing it and no longer want a contract, I might as well get it unlocked. But, I'm on AT&T currently (and happy to stay).

So I should order a T-Mobile 6S, and then pop in my AT&T SIM, right? And I won't be giving anything up?
Order the full price AT&T one !

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
your question is not very answerable. LTE speeds vary for a lot of reasons that differs from carrier and country.

I assume you are asking if the radio chipset in the 6s/6s+ can take advantage of the most current LTE bands... for now yes. but do not expect that to last for too long as new LTE bands / spectrum pop up in the future

your phone unlocking statement (question?) is unclear as well. phones can be locked and subsidized, locked but paid in full, unlocked and subsidized, unlocked and paid in full... which carrier are you looking to buy from exactly?

the one you buy from Apple has two variations: if you pay in full, it comes unlocked and they do not require you to activate it on any network. if you choose their payment plan, it comes unlocked, but they do require you to activate (e.g. open a new line, or upgrade existing line) on a operator's network

Last edited:

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I pre-ordered my 6s Plus from Apple.com under T-Mobile, and I am using it right now as we speak on MetroPCS. All I did was open up the SIM tray and take my SIM out from my old 6 Plus and called my carrier to give them the IMEI number. It works splendidly.

Reactions: Broadus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.