Unlocked, Sim free or carrier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hovscorpion12, Jul 13, 2015.

1. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I currently own a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus. I do plan on purchasing/pre-ordering the iPhone (2015 edition) unlocked with no carrier plan.

Question #1a. When purchasing/pre-ordering the unlocked T-Mobile iPhone (2015), does that purchase require a T-Mobile account in order to purchase? (Similar to AT&T, Verizon and Sprint asking to either replace current iPhone or New line?)

Question #1b. Will I be able to insert my current Verizon iPhone's nano sim into the unlocked T-Mobile and work fully on Verizon's 4G LTE network?

Question #2. Apple also currently offers a Sim free option. Has it been confirmed that the Sim free iPhone will work fully on Verizon's 4G LTE network?

Question #3. My current Verizon iPhone 6 Plus is still under contract until 2016. Would I be able to purchase/pre-order the iphone (2015) unlocked on Verizon Wireless's website with no issue other then paying $1,000?

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

1a. No
    1b. Yes (work fully with existing SIM but no new activation)
    2. Yes
    3. Maybe? I'm not sure about Verizon but AT&T used to force you into a contract renewal with early upgrade pricing ($399-449 instead of $199). They didn't allow you to pay full price.

3. hovscorpion12 thread starter macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Thank you for the reply. I will most likely go with the T-Mobile unlocked as I don't think Apple will have the sim free option available during pre-orders.

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Take note, while the T-Mobile version will technically work on Verizon's network (including CDMA, VoLTE, etc), as of now, there are some billing issues if you use non-whitelisted devices. For example, the $25 no-contract discount on More Everything plans only works with a whitelisted device. If you're grandfathered in to an old plan with unlimited data, though, this should be a non-issue.