Unlocked Sprint 4S for international use & Software Update iOS8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Jan 9, 2015.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I called Sprint to verify if my iPhone 4S has been unlocked for international use. They said, it's UNLOCKED. However, they told me if I decide to upgrade to iOS8, it will automatically lock the phone. Is this true?

I'm giving my aunt my 4S. She's lives international and won't have a need to use it here in the USA. I thought once the phone was unlocked for international use that it was unlocked permanently. I'm sure I've done a couple software updates on this phone and clearly, I was told it was 'unlocked' after I made the verification call today.

I don't understand, if ever, my aunt, decides to update to iOS8, that it would lock the phone and she would never able to use it. I'm canceling my service with Sprint this weekend and I want my aunt to be able to use it in her home country.

Can I remove the Sprint Sim and just send her the phone? Or will she need it? Thanks.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Whomever you spoke with is probably confused. Typical Sprint.

Sprint submits the IMEI to Apple's unlock database for international only. Once it's in the database there is no "re-locking" it.

This kind of misinformation is the same thing that has Sprint handing out MSL codes (which Apple does not use) for iPhones. Perhaps the CSR thought that updating which also updates the baseband would wipe any reprogramming. IDK, but in any case they are wrong.

You can keep the SIM. There's no way your aunt could use it, unless she wanted Sprint service. She'd have to pull it out to insert her own SIM anyway.

3. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I thought so too, 4S permanently unlocked. I've been with Sprint for 12-15 years. When I acquired the 4S, I called immediately to get the phone unlocked for international use. Today, I wanted to verify that it was still unlocked, as I'm handing the 4S over to my aunt. I was surprised when the CSR told me it would re-lock it if I updated the software. I predict my aunt would perhaps update the software later down the line. Anyway, I appreciate your response. I'll hold onto the some then. Thank you.