unlocked Sprint/US Cellular iPhone for international use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SHNXX, Nov 12, 2014.

1. SHNXX, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

SHNXX macrumors 68000

Hello

I found out that one can buy the Sprint or US CELLULAR iPhone 6s for full price without contract.

Can you use these in other countries or are they locked?
    How do you unlock them from Sprint in the future?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

All Sprint iPhones are fully locked, and they can only be unlocked for international use by existing Sprint customers.

I'd stay away from Sprint iPhones.

3. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

What about US Cellular?

Damn. ****ing Sprint.
    How can they lock full price purchase iPhones?
    That's ****ing ********.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Depending if you're the part of US Cellular that was bought out by Sprint or the other part of US Cellular that's still US Cellular, then if the former, it's probably locked to Sprint.

As to the rest of your comments about Sprint. They can because that's part of their agreement with Apple. And they do because people will buy them. They've done this since the first iPhone model they started selling and it's been the same way for the last three years on all iPhone models.

This may change in February 2015 when the voluntary unlocking agreement goes into affect between the carriers. But personally, I'd lay money down on Sprint finding a way to still screw the customer out of an unlock. It's Sprint, screwing over the customer any way they can is what they do.

As a long term Sprint customer you learn to be informed and protect yourself against your carrier as best you can.

5. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

It's pretty ******** that in the US, apple doesn't sell full feature iphone 6 for international travelers.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Buy a phone for the place you will use it most of the time.
    If you just travel here and there then you will be fine without having LTE capabilities for a trip.
    If you live abroad and need a phone to use on your home network of course you will want those LTE capabilities so purchase a phone from your country that has all bands available for the carrier that you're on.
    Simple.

7. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

Please do not give unsolicited life advices as they are not welcome.

That might work for you but it doesn't work for me.
    I have a home in the US but I also have to be abroad in two countries for business and have a home in one of those countries.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not "life advices", its called common sense.
    Im posting on a public forum my opinion whether you like to hear it or not since you put out your "life problems" online for everyone to view, discuss and provide input. If you want to delete posts or only hear what you want to hear stick to facebook.
    What someone wise would do is get a phone based on the place where most amount of time is spent.
    Or buy 2 phones instead of keep swearing and complaining why Sprint locks their iphones.
    You're very welcome;)

9. SHNXX, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

no thanks

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you want anyone to help you, lose the attitude.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's not AJ's fault that Sprint has a draconian unlock policy. He's not even a Sprint customer.

There are plenty of "unlock" threads over on the Sprint BAW forums. You won't get any farther over there then here, but the Sprint reps over there are quite used to being abused and sweared at.

Just saying…

12. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

I did not realize that Sprint had such a terrible customer service... it's really puzzling since they are not even in a dominant position compared to say Verizon or AT&T, so one would think that they would be trying to provide better service, rather than the worst.
    I do enjoy T-Mobile's new focus on customer experience/service.

13. HarrisonTaylor macrumors regular

HarrisonTaylor

The USCC iPhone 6 and 6 Plus come unlocked out of the box for international use. It won't work with any other network in the U.S. unless you have them unlock it which isn't too much of a pain as long as the phone isn't active on an account. USCC has the most relaxed unlocking policies of any carrier, other than Verizon, who doesn't lock their LTE devices at all.