Unlocked T-Mobile Paid in full iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timenprayer, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Timenprayer macrumors newbie

Paid in full for a t-mobile iPhone X. I’m on ATT. Just want to confirm 100% that my steps on Friday are to remove the t-mobile SIM from the new iPhone X, insert my existing ATT SIM, and then power on.

2. Gshox macrumors regular

3. Timenprayer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx. I was pretty sure.

4. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

That seems to be the consensus on the forums. Just order through Apple and pay in full.

5. Ayooosh macrumors newbie

So i have purchased a T-mobile unlocked phone at full price. I just wanted to confirm if i’ll have to first unlock it using a t mobile sim or i can put in any gsm Sim and iam good to go?

6. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

I think that's a semi-true statement. I had a different twist on this problem. I bought the ATT IP8 in September from Apple for cash. When I received the IP8, I had some trouble activating it, so I gave up and switch the sim card with my previous ATT iphone7 and it immediately recognized it as my regular phone number.

I then wanted to make sure it was unlocked as I thought I would sell it when I got my X. Using the procedure here...

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1008728

When I loaded all the requested data in the site above, I got a message back saying my IP8 was not recognized as an ATT phone. A trip to the ATT store where they gave me a new sim card and "activated" with ATT took care of that problem. Remember, I was using it with ATT up to this point.

With the new sim card installed, I reloaded the site at the link above and the next day I received an email from ATT saying I was approved to unlock the phone.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    The quickest way to tell is to put another sim card in the phone and if it works, it's unlocked.

7. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Depends who you buy it from. Fully Paid T-Mobile purchased from Apple - is unlocked and has a T-Mobile SIM (that you just remove). It is the Intel Modem version which does not have the CDMA frequencies.

T-Mobile iPhone X purchased from T-Mobile at full price is locked to T-Mobile. However T-Mobile will unlock if you meet the conditions on their UNLOCK requirements page: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588