Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by skiathosmike, Jun 16, 2012.

1. skiathosmike macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have just got an iPhone 3GS but I'm not sure it's unlocked.

I got it from a friend who contacted Vodaphone who said they were going to unlock it which could take up to 48 hours, that time has now past.

I have tried the sim card from my very old phone which is still in use but all I get from the iPhone is "NO SERVICE".

Is this because the iPhone is not yet unlocked or because the sim is incorrect for the iPhone?

In short, Is there a way to confirm your iphone is unlocked? and Do you need to have a certain kind of sim to get a service?

Thanks for any help you can give

Mike

2. skiathosmike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thanks to all 339 people that have viewed my question and not replyed. This is a great forum (not) I will reccomend it to my friends when I get my iPhone working (obviously without your help. Ta very much

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was going to reply but after this rude and incosiderate post I will not and hope noone here ever tries to help you either.
    Posters asking for help have to be patient, ungreatfull ones like you dont deserve any assistance.

4. skiathosmike thread starter macrumors newbie

Fine keep it to yourself

Well I was not trying to be rude. Have to ask if you was going to reply why didn't you? My guess is you had no intention of replying but love to complain when someone points out that they have asked for help, which has be viewed by over 300 people, with no reply and then has the nerve to mention it. I hope you in the near future require help which you ask for and you receive f all in reply. Obviously if this should happen and I know the answer to your problem I will let you know that I am aware of the answer then not tell you it. Obviously I hope this future question you have will be to do with a dangerious personal problem. Thanks for your help! Please remember I have only complained about fact. I asked a question, 300+ people viewed it and I had no answer....How would you feel?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When you start paying for something then you can complain if you dont get good service. When you expect people to volunteer their time and effort to assist you for FREE and then you act like a baby when you didn't get a response yet then that's ignorant.
    People don't like to help unappreciative and insulting people in general.
    Maybe when you grow up you will act nice and be patient when you ask others for help and someone might assist you.
    And if you continue to disrespect the forum you will get banned.

6. DrNoellyG macrumors member

Here's why 300+ people read your thread and didn't reply, your topic says "unlocked", it has no clear information about what the thread inside contains. Are you talking about your experience unlocking? Are you asking a question about unlocking? Are you sharing your method to unlock and iPhone?

You should really put more thought and effort into your posts and thread titles since that is what the reader sees and makes him/her decide to enter the thread or not. I bet most of the 300+ that came in and read the thread thought this was a thread about unlocking some iPhone models, therefore they didn't have a possible answer to your problem, and chances are they started reading, realised this was yet another question about something related to unlocks and left the thread before even reading the entirety of your post since most of them also have these questions and seek answers.

Regarding your question, you should contact Vodafone and ask them directly. You didn't buy the phone yourself and while Vodafone can be slow sometimes it took less than that to unlock a friend's phone. Also, if you managed to put a sim in, then you probably have the right size of sim. To be sure, check with another carrier's SIM and if it works well then it is unlocked, if not then not. In any case, if problems/doubts remain, call Vodafone directly.