Unlocking 3g and confused

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bootsie, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I have an iphone 3g that my friend wants me to unlock for him, it is on 4.1 and baseband 05.14.02 right now.

I am very confused about all these new updates and everything that is being released and what it all means.

Are there any tutorials that will just walk me through the process from start to finish. All of them that I have found have broken links to downloads and stuff.

All I want to do it just unlock the thing, hand it over, and tell him not to update it. I don't want it to be a tethered jailbreak or whatever.

He is having me do this because I used to unlock my 2g all the time, but it has been a long time since I have done it and a lot has changed so I am confused.

Please help! Thanks a bunch!

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You ain't unlocking 5.14.02 not gonna happen. Maybe an unlock will be released in the future... You could screw up the phone and put ipad modem firmware on it but it may kill your gps functionality. That you could unlock.

3. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Download redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6 for Windows or fail Mac, whichever one you're using. The instructions in the program are idiot/Mac user proof.

Just check the box for "Install iPad baseband" and it's very simple from there.