Unlocking 3GS 05.14.02 without upgrading to iPad BB...?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DryEyez, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Ok, so I understand completely that the 05.14.02 BB cannot be unlocked as the dev team, err (Gave up? or didn't feel it worthwhile, whichever)...in any case, I'm not very keen on the idea of updating it to the iPad BB and being stuck there for all eternity.

So, here is my query, I'm currently on iOS 4.1, if I updated, to another 4.x would this change my BB to one which can be unlocked...and if not, will updating to iOS 5 update my BB? (Also I realise, that ultrasn0w doesn't unlock iOS 5...yet...but obviously it will do and would be nice to know I have that option once the dev team has worked it's magic). Any ETA on an unlock for iOS 5?

If absolutely and positively none of these other options are available, and disregarding upgrading my BB to the iPad one, what else is open to me?

To unlock my phone from a carrier takes a month...if I contact apple directly, will they unlock it for me and cut out the middle man?

Let me know what options this poor old guy has, thanks.

(PS Sorry for double post, but the other thread is in the wrong section...)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No other option than either installing the iPad bb or contacting your carrier.
    Apple doesn't unlock iPhones unless they get the request from your wireless provider.

3. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick response. I see the dev team are working on a fix for the unfortunate iPad BB so maybe I could upgrade to that...but then I'm putting my faith in the dev team that they will come through on that project.

I do wonder though, can you tell me, if I update to iOS5 will this change my BB to something...unlockable?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the 5.0 baseband is not unlockable either. You can try the iPad bb but nothing is set in stone that they will put out a working bb downgrade tool in the future.

5. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I should have rephrased, I know it won't be unlockable....right now....but does updating to iOS 5 change the baseband at all? As I presume there will become an unlock available at some point

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes it does change the baseband to the one that comes with the stock 5.0
    No one knows if there will be another unlock or when and for what baseband version. Your guess is as good as mine.

7. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks AppleJuiced...I have all the facts in front of me, now it's just to make an informed decision...I just really wish there was a way to downgrade the BB at a later date, would make choosing a whole lot easier.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    I also wish there was a better option than the iPad bb.
    I wouldn't install that to my phone either.

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

OS5 for 3GS comes with baseband 05.20.00

10. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah thanks, both of you. Very helpful. I'll keep my eye out then for any 05.20.00 unlocks :D

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

My bad, I just take a look at my 3GS with OS5, the baseband is 05.16.05

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

This is a smarter solution than "keeping my eye out for any 5.20.00 unlocks" (or 5.16.05 per Crystal-Rx's followup post). Given that we've gone basically a year with no new baseband unlocks, the mere month's wait your carrier calls for is likely to be faster. And a "soft" unlock, such as that provided by a baseband hack, is a lot more trouble to maintain than a carrier unlock. It's also worth less, should you ever choose to sell your phone.

Since you very fortunately have a carrier that actually provides an unlocking service, unlike us here in the US on AT&T, you're best off taking advantage of that service. You're going to be waiting quite some time for an unlock anyway, so you might as well start the process with your carrier now.

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This should be a no Brainer. You are in the UK get the phone unlocked by the carrier. It will allow you to do future updates without worrying about baseband updates and will not compromise your GPS capability.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very well said.

15. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I have started the process as of, 4 days ago now. But if I can unlock the phone between waiting without permanently changing the phones BB then that's what I wanted to do. But I agree it is the best option, I just could really do with the phone working asap, just call it impatience on my part. Thanks for all the feedback in this thread