Unlocking 3GS with Orange (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by testcard, Feb 6, 2011.

1. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Anyone in the UK had experience of Orange's unlocking procedure? Reason I ask is that when I called Orange to get unlocked they told me I would receive a code to input into the 3GS to unlock it. What I got instead is as follows:

1) Insert a non-Orange 3G SIM card.
    2) Switch ON the handset.
    3) The handset should display: USB cable and iTunes icon.
    4) Synchronise device with iTunes
    5) Once synchronised a message will appear on iTunes stating “Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked”
    6) Follow on screen set up instructions to enable new carrier settings
    Your handset should now be successfully unlocked.

Apart from not having a non-Orange SIM (I want to sell the phone, not switch carriers), I just wanted to check if this all makes sense.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It sounds exactly the same procedure as unlocking with O2. :)

3. testcard thread starter macrumors 68020

testcard

OK thanks. The problem from my point of view is that I can't do the unlock on my Mac with iTunes as I won't know the new carrier settings. Surely that's for the new buyer (assuming I can sell it). So, based on the message from Orange, only the new buyer can actually go through the unlock procedure, if that makes sense?

4. unlckiphone macrumors newbie

iphone unlocking

It’s not the case of a new user I think, rather it’s a common issue that after iPhone unlocking, if you start using iTunes then the phone get locked again. I am not though precise about the unlocking procedure at Orange but I would personally advise you to reframe the software that you are using for the purpose. May be any software that fully supports the number of service providers would help you in a better way.;)

5. EddieLucitt macrumors newbie

No, this all makes sense.

Just do what the instructions say. When you plug into iTunes and it tells you that your phone is unlocked, that's it. You don't need carrier settings or anything. After you do this, your phone will run on any GSM carrier without the need to change any settings.

In a nutshell, do this, sell it. Any sim card will work and your customer will be happy.

Hope this helped.