Unlocking 3GS without a SIM?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lacereza, Aug 2, 2010.

1. lacereza macrumors regular

I have a 3GS that was activated on AT&T. I closed the account and moved overseas, and have been using it as an iPod Touch + camera for a month or two.

Now I want to jailbreak and start using it as my phone here. I'm running Jailbreakme, but then can I do the unlocking without an AT&T SIM in there at all? I might have my old one floating around, but it's probably been deactivated, I'd imagine...

Thanks!

2. ldobson macrumors regular

If its already activated it should be possible, but if you have to restore your SOL as jailbreakme.com does not do hacktivation.

3. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

I'm afraid I don't know what SOL is...

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If the phone is activated and it sounds like it is. Then you can JB and UL. After the JB just use Cydia at repo666 to download Ultrasn0w and you are ready for a local SIM card. If you are using it as an IPOD touch it is activated.

5. jdmz macrumors newbie

does anyone know if an old cingular sim card will work? I am having the same problem... not being able to jb because of unactivated iphone.

6. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, great. 'Cos I'm using it without a SIM in it now!

7. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. This is a very basic question, but how/where do I get Cydia to use?

Edit: there it is on my homescreen! Where do I find repo666?

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

When you JB your phone Cydia is automatically installed. It is the equivalent of the APP store for those who JB.

9. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. That was SO easy. Whole process took about 10 mins (once I found the repo666 thing on Cydia :)

Thanks!

10. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

Last Q: There's no problem syncing with my iTunes, right? No reason not to?

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

No problem at all with Itunes. However, there are two more things you should do to protect yourself for the future. (1) Save your SHSH files for 4.0.1 you do this by downloading an application called tiny umbrella from here http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ read the instructions carefully. By saving your shsh files you will be able to restore your phone to FW 4.0.1 in the future when Apple have updated to 4.1 (2) Change the settings in Itunes so that you do not do any automatic updates. There are no issues today, because 4.0.1 is the latest but they will soon release 4.1 which presently cannot be JB or unlocked.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it should activate it even if its old and inactive.
    Give it a shot.