Unlocking 3GS without a SIM?

lacereza

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2008
I have a 3GS that was activated on AT&T. I closed the account and moved overseas, and have been using it as an iPod Touch + camera for a month or two.

Now I want to jailbreak and start using it as my phone here. I'm running Jailbreakme, but then can I do the unlocking without an AT&T SIM in there at all? I might have my old one floating around, but it's probably been deactivated, I'd imagine...

Thanks!

ldobson

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
If its already activated it should be possible, but if you have to restore your SOL as jailbreakme.com does not do hacktivation.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I have a 3GS that was activated on AT&T. I closed the account and moved overseas, and have been using it as an iPod Touch + camera for a month or two.

Now I want to jailbreak and start using it as my phone here. I'm running Jailbreakme, but then can I do the unlocking without an AT&T SIM in there at all? I might have my old one floating around, but it's probably been deactivated, I'd imagine...

Thanks!
If the phone is activated and it sounds like it is. Then you can JB and UL. After the JB just use Cydia at repo666 to download Ultrasn0w and you are ready for a local SIM card. If you are using it as an IPOD touch it is activated.

jdmz

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
does anyone know if an old cingular sim card will work? I am having the same problem... not being able to jb because of unactivated iphone.

lacereza

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2008
If the phone is activated and it sounds like it is. Then you can JB and UL. After the JB just use Cydia at repo666 to download Ultrasn0w and you are ready for a local SIM card. If you are using it as an IPOD touch it is activated.
Ok, great. 'Cos I'm using it without a SIM in it now!

lacereza

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Ok. This is a very basic question, but how/where do I get Cydia to use?

Edit: there it is on my homescreen! Where do I find repo666?

lacereza

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Wow. That was SO easy. Whole process took about 10 mins (once I found the repo666 thing on Cydia :)

Thanks!

lacereza

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Last Q: There's no problem syncing with my iTunes, right? No reason not to?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Last Q: There's no problem syncing with my iTunes, right? No reason not to?
No problem at all with Itunes. However, there are two more things you should do to protect yourself for the future. (1) Save your SHSH files for 4.0.1 you do this by downloading an application called tiny umbrella from here http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ read the instructions carefully. By saving your shsh files you will be able to restore your phone to FW 4.0.1 in the future when Apple have updated to 4.1 (2) Change the settings in Itunes so that you do not do any automatic updates. There are no issues today, because 4.0.1 is the latest but they will soon release 4.1 which presently cannot be JB or unlocked.