Unlocking 4.1 with updated baseband?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FuNGi, Nov 9, 2010.

1. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

It appears that there is no current way to unlock the IP4 4.1 with the updated baseband. Does anyone know if there will be an unlocking solution coming soon? I know I can jailbreak now with several options such as greenposi0n etc. but I specifically need an unlock.

I am not planning on updating to 4.2 when it comes out later this week and just want to hold out for a solution. I'm moving to Panama in a month and would love to use my phone on a local carrier there.

Thanks, :eek:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot right now.
    All you can do is wait for a new unlock to be released.

3. FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Thanks Applejuiced - do you agree that it would be a good idea to skip over the upcoming 4.2 update?

/patiently waiting in corner for unlock release/

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, dont update at all untill you hear its ok from the Dev team. They are suppose to release a new unlock after 4.2 is out but we gotta wait and see how it goes.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The cardinal rule in staying jailbroken and unlocked is never update to new firmware until new tools are released. Sounds like you have the idea.

6. jabuka macrumors newbie

I did the above, the most stupid thing possible, updated though iTunes. By all means no update until JB+unlocking becomes reality.

7. jabuka macrumors newbie

How about the info listed on this website:

http://www.serviceok.net/english/index.php

Quote: Unlock iPhone from 1.1.1 to 4.1(baseband 05.14.02, 05.13.04, 1.59.00 and 02.10.04 included)

The link was found on the http://www.saurik.com/ which is actually Cydia programmer's site.

If the unlocking software costs 16 EUR that's nothing for somebody who screwed it up by mistake. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

8. anthdci macrumors 6502

fake

9. jabuka macrumors newbie

That's what I figure based on the info I found elsewhere. Thanks.

10. thenetstud macrumors member

From blog.iphone-dev.org:

11. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

I did this to my iPhone last night. I backed up my SHSH Blobs, restored from them, and the baseband still reads 5.14. There is no way to downgrade even though I did a proper backup? :(

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, once the baseband is updated on your 3GS it cannot be downgraded.

13. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

Darn! And just to confirm, you said that they would have a fix after 4.2 is released. Does that mean that they will be making a downgrade of the baseband available or that they are making 5.12 unlockable?

14. navigates macrumors 6502a

Typically basebands are not downgradable so I wouldn't hold up for a downgrade. More than likely it won't happen. What the dev team is saying that they have probably found a way to unlock the 4.2 baseband probably from Apple's GM release.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they wont make it downgradable.
    They will just release a new unlock for your current baseband. I heard they're having good progress so it shouldnt be too long I hope.

16. FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

This quote you provided sounds like they are already able to unlock 4.1 then? My interpretation is that they are waiting to release the unlock for 4.1 and 4.2 at the same time then.. Good news and thanks for the information.

I haven't even jailbroken my phone yet :rolleyes:. Not really that interested in it - mainly just want the unlock so that I can get a prepaid sim card in Panama.

17. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

According to the latest twitter buzz, there should be an unlock for 3G/3G S very soon after 4.2 is released but it might be just a little longer for i4 users, but sherif hashim has made progress on that front too. I don't understand how that guy has time to be a baseband hacker and a neurosurgeon.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, hopefully soon.
    Lets keep our fingers crossed:)

19. mz100 macrumors regular

It may not be what your looking for, but worse case scenario the unlock is not out before you leave. Post an ad on craigslist saying you will trade for an unlocked iPhone 4 and will throw in $20.

I live in Chicago and could almost guarantee someone who is selling an iPhone 4 has one that can be unlocked (1.59.00) baseband. Put an ad up for yours, get the cash and fine one you can unlock

20. FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

SOunds risky. Someone could be trying to get rid of their scratched up, dropped, or wet iP4. I like knowing where and what mine's been through. Maybe if it were a friend...I think we will see the unlock release early next month.

21. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I'd wait for a little while and get the official Dev Team unlock when it is ready.