Unlocking a 4th Gen iPod Touch

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, May 4, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

My friend wants me to unlock her iPod touch for her. She said it says "iPod Disabled" and all i need to do is hook it to iTunes to unlock it. But what does unlocking it actually entail doing? Can i unlock it on my eMac? She says it doesn't have iOS 6 or anything newer.

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

This belongs in the iPod Touch forums.

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Thanks. I put it over there. I thought since I'd be using a PowerPC it was suitable here.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you connect it to the computer it was sync'd with you can solve the issue. If that options unavailable then Google dfu restore

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

So i cannot just plug it into my eMac and click "Repair" or whatever?

6. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

No - as that would completely make useless the point of the 'disabled' function. The only thing you can do is restore the iPod to factory settings. There is nothing to repair - the 'disabled' function was put in place by Apple to deter thieves.

Also, why is the iPod disabled in the first place? To get it disabled for more than an hour would require over a dozen incorrect passcode entries, and it's unlikely for passcode to be suddenly 'forgotten'.

7. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Actually, if a device is damaged it could disable. My iPhone 3GS was disabled, after I damaged it,for 12,000,000 million minutes.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Since the iPod Touch (4th gen.) is limited to iOS 6, there is no iCloud lock. Provided you are running OS X Leopard and iTunes 10.6.3, you could simply put the iPod into DFU mode and restore it in iTunes.