Unlocking a Factory Installed 1.1.2 iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattsrobertson, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Joined:
    Sep 19, 2007
    Okay,

So on Saturday I'm making my way across the Border to get an iPhone from the Buffalo store. I have no idea what version of firmware they will have on the phones in stock. I have studied how to unlock it if it is 1.1.1, and I'm crossing my fingers. But, if it turns out it's loaded up with 1.1.2, is there an unlocking method yet?

I found this walkthrough:
    http://www.winandmac.com/mobile/iphone/unlock-iphone-112-via-downgrade/

But from the looks of it, you had to originally have a 1.1.1 phone and upgraded to 1.1.2.

I've tried to research if they are shipping 1.1.2 phones yet, and i've found mixed reviews. Anyway to tell by looking at the box?

2. Xacent macrumors member

As far as I know there is no way to sim unlock a phone that originally had 1.1.2 firmware.

You should be able to jailbreak it to use third party apps but you won't be able to make calls on a third party carrier.

I recently bought an iPhone in the US (Nov 24) and it had 1.1.1 firmware. I used the unlock process described at http://iphone.unlock.no/ on both my iPhone and the one I bought for my friend with no problems.

As a caveat I'm going to be returning mine tomorrow because there is a big gap between the bezel and the aluminum case (big enough that I can grab it and could pull the bezel right off).

So before you drive back to Canada you might want to pull it out of the box and give it a good once over.

Also check for negative black issue (which my one also has) using appleservedup.com you'll have to use the field test numbers mentioned on iphone.unlock.no and elsewhere to be able to connect to wifi and then browse to the test page. If you know what you're doing checking all that will only take a couple of minutes. Then you can avoid going through the annoyance I am, of having to make the 4 hour drive round trip back to an apple store to try to exchange.

Good luck!

3. mattsrobertson thread starter Guest

Well, not to worry. I got to the store and got one that had didnt have the itunes wifi store logo on it. So i assumed it was an older version. Luckily i opened er up, and it was.. i sat outside the apple store, and jailbroke and unlocked it within ten minutes.

Thank you for your advice though, i checked that appleservedup site and it had no problems. But i would have been pretty upset if i got home and it did.

Im pretty sure im obsessed with my phone though. I cant put it down. lol

4. coma macrumors newbie

where do u find the itunes wifi logo? are the iphones in the apple stores still v1.1.1?

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

On the package itself.

Pretty much any iphone with production week >=45 comes with the 4.6 bootloader. You can check the production week by looking at the first 5 numbers in the serial number (ABCDE). If DE is anything greater or equal to 45 then you are out of luck.