Unlocking a Locked Computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcb, Nov 11, 2009.

1. pcb macrumors member

pcb

Hi

I am wondering if there is a way to unlock a computer that is password locked. I am considering purchasing a used g4 but it is password locked and the seller doesnt know the password, hence my question. The computer is cheap, as in only twenty bucks, says he has a monitor, keyboard and mouse for it to, im hoping all apple brand. Basically if it can be unlocked I would love to pick it up cause twenty bucks is cheap.

pcb

2. belvdr macrumors 603

If the install CD is handy, you can boot from it and change the password.

3. pcb thread starter macrumors member

pcb

ok i was hoping it would be something as easy as just the install cd. However I am assuming the seller doesnt have the cds. Can i just buy a set of ebay and have it work? How do I know what disks i need?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can buy them off ebay, just make sure they're for the same make and model of your mac. Apple does key them, so a set of system discs for the iMac won't work for a MacBook Pro.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Since it's a G4, you should be able to use any retail Leopard DVD (if the system meets the requirements for it). I'd imagine that a retail copy of Tiger would work on most G4 systems too, but I can't say that with certainty without knowing the system model.

6. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i suppose he hasn't specified what kind of password. the two likely options are either an account password or a firmware password. if it is the latter it can be cleared by removing and reseating the memory inside.

if it is an account password you can boot into single user mode and create a new password with the command 'passwd usernamehere'

you can tell the username from when you try to log in, or looking in the Users folder.

7. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

wouldn't single user mode, verbose mode, or openfirmware solve his issue without the install cd's?

EDIT: the previous message covered this

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This is a quick way to unlock the user, and redo the initial setup, which basically kills the password.

And if it is OF-password locked, changing the memory resets that...

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

10. pcb thread starter macrumors member

pcb

I am assuming it is a account password.

I like the sound of this idea... FREE is GOOD

11. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

people actually register with apple?

besides all that, i would recommend wiping the drive an installing fresh regardless.