unlocking a new iphone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kevindosi, Sep 16, 2010.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

I was thinking about buying a new iPhone 4 from the Apple store, but I use T-mobile and would want to jailbreak\unlock it. I'm assuming any phone I buy now would be on the new firmware, so does that mean I can't jailbreak it? From what I understand, a way to jailbreak it is on the way, but it may never be unlockable. If anyone could clear this up for me, I'd appreciate it.

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

If you do manage to get them to sell you the phone without an AT&T contract, you will have to pay the unsubsidized rate. I don't think they'll do that for a non AT&T customer though.

That being said, basically, you want to pay more to get less? (No 3G, no FaceTime, no visual voicemail, etc.)

Man, you must really hate AT&T.

Oh, and no. The current software (4.1) does not yet have an available jailbreak.

It should be coming soon, but the unlock will be sometime behind it. No one can really say how long that will take.

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

First, some have posted recently stating they received a 4.0.1 iphone from an apple store. You might get lucky. Second many apple stores will sell you an off contract iphone 4. Third you can have facetime (it's a wi-fi feature remember) but the only fix I know of costs $8 now I think. I have facetime working on two different t-mobile iphone 4s.

4. kevindosi thread starter macrumors regular

i really do hate ATT, both for their crazy iphone prices and their terrible service.
    is there any way to tell if the iphone is jailbreakable by looking at its serial number or model number on the box? i got one but don't want to break the seal unless i know i can unlock it.