Unlocking a Rogers iphone while being with Rogers any downside?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bdubb, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

This question may be specific to people who are out there with UNLOCKED Rogers iPhones with Rogers still as their Carrier...people who have actually unlocked their phones for various reasons ( traveling to different countries etc.)

SO not all of you may have an answer for this... But I am really curios to know the outcome, as I am super paranoid and like to play it safe (cover all four corners so to speak) before I go ahead and Unlock my phone.

Ok I have 3Gs Jailbroken with 3.1.2 and the old baseband 04.26.08 that can be Unlocked with Ultrasn0w through Cydia.

My phone is in great shape even after jailbreaking it and adding buncha Cydia third party apps, such as Voipover3G, SBSettings, etc.

Every Rogers Stock feature works perfectly at the moment, be it Visual voicemail, 3G ( of course ) and even Internet tethering is a breeze through Rogers, just plug it in the USB or choose Bluetooth and turn on tethering and off you go.

Just wondering if I Unlocked my phone through (Ultrasn0W) would the Unlock cause some features to stop working? like internet tethering (it's a possibility, right?) or other things such as Visual voicemail ??( I keep mentioning these two features, since they are both specific to Rogers at the moment, well maybe not so much V.V.M)

I really want to Unlock it becasue I am thinking of visiting my Cousin in NYC in the summer and maybe even staying there for good three or more weeks.

So for the price of buying a pricey "Roaming" package from Rogers, maybe I could do better by buying a US temp. SIM instead?
    I just want to unlock it without risking the chance of any features to fail, can anyone confirm this?

and if something does go wrong, can anyone at least confirm if Ultrasn0W unlock is reversible and can easily be removed? or at least restored back to Locked, Jailbroken phone?

Thanks in Advanced.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can install ultrasnow when you need it thru cydia. Only takes a few seconds.
    And then remove it when you dont. Or you could also toggle it on or off thru an Sbsettings toggle.

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

While I'm not on Rogers, I do exactly what you are proposing only the US version.. I'm on a 3G(s) with 3.1.3/4.26.08 jailbroken with pwnage tool and Ultrasn0w installed. ATT is my carrier, and I keep Ultrasn0w on 100% of the time even though I only switch SIM's when I travel abroad a few times a year. I have no issues when I use Ultrasn0w with my official carrier, and when I travel I just shut my phone off, swap SIM's and turn it on in the new country.

You could use the SBSettings or BossPrefs toggle to turn it off/on if you'd like, but I don't find it necessary to do so.

Good luck!

4. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Hey thanks for the answers guys, I still haven't taken the plunge, but I guess I will do it once the time comes, but it's good to know that it's pretty safe to Unlock !

On to a totally unrelated topic...My friend just sent me this on IM, being an iPhone lover myself, I thought it was pretty hilarious :D

http://i.imgur.com/9Ykqh.jpg