Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidraindrop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
So I have a 3GS with 3.1.2 firmware on baseband 5.11.07 so I know it's unlockable. I jailbroke it with redsnow. It seems to me that the easiest way to unlock it would be with blackrain, but since I already jailbroke it with redsnow would it be safe to use blackrain? If blackrain won't help then what would be the best way to approach unlocking it?

acidraindrop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Where exactly do I get blacksn0w? Im pretty sure it's from Cydia but when I search for it I can never find it.

acidraindrop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Thanks a lot for that page and your help. I actually used iClassified when i jailbroke it. I just ran into another issue, I noticed that everytime I turn my phone off now that when I try to turn it on again it goes to that screen with the iTunes logo and then usb cable so I have to boot it tethered just to get the phone working. Do you have any idea what is causing this or how to fix it? Also is it safe to switch the sim cards while the phone is off? It looks to me like the unlock worked but I haven't tested another sim yet because of this issue.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Thanks a lot for that page and your help. I actually used iClassified when i jailbroke it. I just ran into another issue, I noticed that everytime I turn my phone off now that when I try to turn it on again it goes to that screen with the iTunes logo and then usb cable so I have to boot it tethered just to get the phone working. Do you have any idea what is causing this or how to fix it? Also is it safe to switch the sim cards while the phone is off? It looks to me like the unlock worked but I haven't tested another sim yet because of this issue.

It sounds like you have a tethered jailbreak (read about tethered jailbreak all thru this site, but here is a thread for you to read).

Yes, you can switch the sim cards when it’s off, no problem.

acidraindrop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
I meant changing the sim while the phone is off but I changed it already. Its working on T-Mobile now. I know about the tethered jailbreak thing but what im wondering is why the phone goes to that usb cable screen when I try turning it on when the phone is off. I also noticed that the phone doesnt seem to want to use my homes wifi connection when the T-Mobile sim card is in. Any idea whats up with that?

acidraindrop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
All right I got the wifi to work now by resetting the settings so now I just want to know why my phone goes to the usb cable screen everytime I turn it off. Once again I really appreciate the help.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
All right I got the wifi to work now by resetting the settings so now I just want to know why my phone goes to the usb cable screen everytime I turn it off. Once again I really appreciate the help.

As Aggie said...you have a tethered JB, and linked to a thread explaining it.
This is becasue you have a new bootrom on your phone.
For an untethered JB Spirit is your only option.

acidraindrop

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Oh ok that makes sense, I hadn't looked at that link. I thought that the tethered meant that I just had to have it hooked up when jailbreaking and not everytime I turned the phone off, I hadn't even noticed it until a few days ago and my phone has been jailbroken for over a month. Thanks for the help guys. Everything is working good now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.