Unlocking after next firmware update:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Redneck1089, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Following the steps of the iPhone Unlock Wiki I will have to restore and update the iPhone as part of the first step (http://modmyiphone.com/wiki/index.ph...ck_OS_X_Part_1). If I do this after the next firmware update will it stop me from unlocking the phone, or does this just set the phone back to factory specs with the original firmware? Will I then be able to install the firmware update of my choice (the current firmware that's out right now)?

Anyone know the answers to these questions?

2. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

You will not be able to choose any firmware you want, the latest will automatically be put on your phone when you restore through iTunes.

No one knows if :apple: is going to put in a fix so that the phones can no longer be unlocked. We will find out when the update happens. Remember, all of those unlocking programs came with a disclaimer: "may not work after future updates"

Apple is king and they could *hypothetically* stop us from doing anything with firmware updates

3. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Damn, that's really frustrating. It would definitely be ncie if I could choose which firmware I want on the phone...

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Some of the hack sites have posted copies of old firmware so you might be able to downgrade if someone posts it.

In the future do a search, there have been dozens of posts asking about hacks/unlocks and firmware updates. Maybe we need to sticky a post that explains the status of current mods and unlocks and that no one knows what will happen next?

5. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I have searched... No one has a specific answer to my question, however. I just want to know what happens during the first step of the phone unlock Wiki--it says you have to "resotre and update" the phone. I'm wondering if the update part of that means putting the latest firmware on the phone. I'm doubly confused too because in step two of the wiki, it states that is when you should put the firmware onto the phone...

6. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

When they say "Restore and Update", I am 99.9% sure they say this because they need you to have the 1.02 firmware on your iPhone for the unlock to work. A lot of things have changed between each of the firmware versions, and the code has to be adapted to account for that. Meaning, if you have any firmware version other than the latest, and try to preform the unlock it will not work.

Same with the AppTapp installer. If it didnt matter which firmware you had, they wouldnt have multiple versions to download.

7. ventro macrumors 6502a

We will know tomorrow whether we are all screwed or good to go. If they break the unlock process, basically we are all back at square one, and it doesn't look good for any future unlocks.

8. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I would *assume* that in their contract with AT&T they have to do *something* about the hacking. They at least have to act like they are making an effort..... This HAS to be in the contract, but then, I'm making an assumption. (I know if I was a suit at AT&T, I'd have this in the contract)

9. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Well if I can put the firmware of my choosing on the phone, then it wouldn't matter what Apple does. I couldn't really careless about an iTunes wifi music store.

I've downloaded the 91 MB current firmware from the Unlock Wiki and am hoping that it will allow me to put it on the phone even after Apple releases the next update.

10. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I see what you mean. What's confusing me is they say in Part Two of the Wiki tutorial that that's when you put the 1.02 firmware on the phone. The first step is to "restore and update," and the second step is putting the firmware on the phone.

I'm confused because...isn't "updating" the phone putting the current firmware on the phone in the first step?

11. shakastange macrumors member

Thing is you don't HAVE to update iTunes or the iPhone. You will not get anynew features or bug fxed, but your phone will be unlocked.

12. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

In the first step of the unlock Wiki, it says I must "restore and update" the phone. I'm curious as it whether this "updating" during the first step puts the latest firmware on the phone, or if it updates the phone back to the original (very first) firmware that came with the phone.

I'm not too concerned with more features and bugs at this point. It doesn't have any bugs that would bother me and all the feature I wan I can get through hacks...

13. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

It only says that to make sure you are at the current software- 1.0.2. If your iPhone has this aleady, you do NOT need to restore and update.

So, if 1.1.1 comes out, and the hacks no longer work (with that version), you just need to make sure the iPhone has 1.0.2 and you will still be able to unlock.

14. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Because I have already downloaded 1.0.2 in advance just incase I can't get it after this next update, is there a way I can put it on the phone after I receive it? (It won't be here for at least another week)