Unlocking an iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneBurger, Oct 6, 2011.

1. iPhoneBurger macrumors newbie

My Goal:

To land in any country on earth (with exception of Japan, etc), pop in a local SIM card, and have a local phone number while visiting that country.

My Needs:

1) I would need an iPhone 4 (AT&T version with sim card slot) correct?

2) I would need to unlock this phone, correct?

3) If this phone is unlocked, it can be used with pretty much any SIM card in any country worldwide, giving me a local phone number there, on the prepaid sim?

4) I see a lot of unlocked iPhone 4 on Amazon.com but they run $750+. Would it be cheaper to just buy an iphone 4 and unlock it myself?

5) I was told its a royal pain in the ass to unlock an iphone 4 ... true?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The only way to use an AT&T iPhone with other characters is with the Gevey Sim "solution." If you pay full price and buy an unlocked iPhone 4, you can pop in any SIM card from any carrier and it will work.

3. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

1. Yes.

2. Yes, you would have to unlock your iPhone. Unless, you are willing to pay extra for roaming.

3. Yes. Just get any Micro-SIM card and you're ready to go.

4. Yes, It'd be cheaper to just get the locked version. However, you'll be tied to 2 years contract with your phone carrier and to my current knowledge, you can't unlock the current iPhone 4 or 4S. Something to do with the firmware. Some people who got the first batch of iPhone 4 are able to unlock it, but they can never update their firmware. I tried the GEVEY SIM solution a long time ago (back when I was using i3G) and it worked. So perhaps buying that might be the best solution if you're getting the locked version.

5. Sorry, no idea there, mate.

4. iPhoneBurger thread starter macrumors newbie

I read somewhere you have to "Jailbreak" it first, then you can "unlock" it. True or not true?

Or, if you're in a country selling regular SIMs you can use a sim cutter to make it micro. True?

Yeah i cant believe these unlocked iphones on amazon are going for $800... thats ridiculous...

Any way to find this out for sure? This seems to be the final question.

The 3G is just so much slower, its almost painful to use after you get a 4..