Unlocking an iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ToddH, Oct 12, 2014.

1. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Hey guys, is there an easy way to get a recently canceled iPhone 5s Verizon phone unlocked? Do we have to call Verizon wireless and have them unlock it for us so that we can sell it? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

T

2. 617aircav Suspended

Lol. It's already unlocked. There is no locked Verizon 5, 5s or 6.

3. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Well I was just curious since I'm selling it to a lady that is sending it to Vietnam and it needs to be available for any carrier. That was the main thing I was concerned about...

T

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, she will be able to use it fine in vietnam with any gsm carrier there.
    All verizon LTE iphones are fully unlocked for any gsm carrier in the world.

5. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

I got my AT&T 5S factory unlocked so I can sell it. Will it work with a Verizon SIM as well now? I know it technically has the hardware.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

An AT&T unlocked 5S will never work with verizon or Sprint.
    Just GSM carriers.

7. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

Really? So technically it's the same phone for Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, but once it's been activated on a GSM, it's locked to GSM?

I bought a Verizon 6 Plus and am using it on T-Mobile. Does that mean I would never be able to switch to Verizon at some point in the future?

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

iPhone 6/6 Plus for T-mobile/Verizon/AT&T all share the same A1549/A1522 model(respectively).
    So no, if you have a Verizon 6 Plus and using it on t-mobile, it will still work on Verizon provided that it is a Verizon iphone.

Even an AT&T 6/6Plus purchased at full price is unlocked and can work on Verizon network (only thing is that you need an activated sim to make it work).

9. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

That's what my understanding was. So, does the same apply to a 5S as well? I thought it was the same phone as well.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 5S and 6 plus are completely different on how they operate and work with different carriers.
    The 5S GSM models have the cdma part of the phone disabled even though its there hardware wise.
    The verizon 6 Plus can be used on verizon and any gsm carrier in the world. With that you can switch back to verizon at any time or switch to any gsm provider.

----------

No, the same thing does not apply to the 5S, 5C or iphone 5.
    Just the 6 and 6 Plus models are like that.

11. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

Ok, so I got a Verizon 6 Plus and I'm using it on T-Mobile. For my wife though, I got a T-Mobile 6 Plus that we're using on T-Mobile as well. Would she be able to switch it over to Verizon if we ever chose to do so?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    Your verizon 6 plus will work with verizon and any gsm carrier in the world.
    You can go back and forth from verizon to tmobile to back to verizon as much as you want.

13. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

But given my wife's Plus is a T-Mobile I bought device only, it'll be restricted to GSM even though it's technically the same phone?

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If her iphone Plus is on t-mobile and is unlocked, I don't see why it would not work on Verizon? As long as she has an active sim from Verizon, it should be okay. It is just that Verizon will not activate the new sim that the phone is not listed on their whitelist. <- Unless their policy changed? No idea. Unless there is a work around I don't know.

I inserted my active Verizon nano sim from my ipad mini retina into my AT&T unlocked 6 Plus and sure enough it connects to Verizon network just fine.

15. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

Oh cool! Good to know.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For some reason the device only T-Mobile and att iphone 6 and 6 plus work on Verizon.
    Just those though.
    Not the same thing for the iPhone 5, 5s or 5c.