Unlocking an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shaun.P, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hello there,

I got an iPod touch for Christmas - and to be frank, I barely use it. I think it's an amazing device... but I never use it because I listen to music through CD's in my car, and when I'm not in my car, I'm usually in my room listening to music through my soundsticks.

It has crossed my mind to sell it and buy an iPhone. However I live in the UK and O2 is the designated carrier, and I'm on Orange with 21 months left of my contract (I recently upgraded). The thing is, I get 40% off my line rental with Orange because of a company I work for, and I'm happy with the service.

It is now crossing my mind to buy an iPhone, unlock it, use my Orange simcard, sell my current phone (for around £140) and my iPod Touch (for around £150).

I have no idea how to go about the unlocking in the UK, and if it is safe, what it entails, and the consequences.

If I unlock it, would I be able to 'revert' it to the old software so Apple knows I haven't tampered with it? Does unlocking it void your warranty?

I obviously don't have much information on this matter, but I'd like to hear from people who've unlocked.

Shaun

2. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

If I unlock it, would I be able to 'revert' it to the old software so Apple knows I haven't tampered with it? Ofcourse, if I did this, it wouldn't be activated. Could I stick in a simcard from a friends iPhone if I had to take it to the genius bar?

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Firstly, as you say the phone wouldn't be activated and they'd know that as soon as they put the serial number into their systems
    Secondly, even if you put another iPhone SIM into a different iPhone it will still have to be activated through iTunes (I know because I had to do this when I went to a 16GB from an 8GB)
    Using an unlocked phone is fine IMO as long as you accept the risk that you may end up having to buy another one if you get any problems and can't get it repaired.

4. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Say it started malfunctioning, say 3 months after I got it. Say it stopped charging...and I relocked it... could I say to Apple it was bought as a gift for someone and they were only recently given it?

5. Cudadown macrumors regular