Unlocking an upgrade to OS 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kopart, Jun 25, 2010.

1. kopart macrumors newbie

Hi!

I upgraded to OS 4 on my 3GS and now I would like to unlock it so that I can use the phone with any carrier internationally.

Does that mean that I have to jailbreak it first? I've tried using redsn0w for this, but it refuses to recognize my IPSW.

Thanks for the time!

2. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

There is currently no jailbreak for iOS4 on the 3GS unless it was previously jailbroken with something other than Spirit; and you have your SHSH saved.

3. kopart thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh no! It was previously jailbroken until the upgrade caused me to lock and jail the phone. Also, I do not think that I have the SHSH saved...this can only be accessed through a cydia app in my phone, right? Because there no longer is a cydia app.

4. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Which method did you previously use to jailbreak your phone? If you have your SHSH saved for 3.1.2 you can downgrade to that firmware, re-jailbreak and then create a custom IPSW to use for iOS4. If you used Spirit with 3.1.3, you're basically out of luck until a new JB is released.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Where you JB before 4.0 came out and did you click the "make my life earier" option thru cydia before?
    If you dont have SHSH's saved thru cydia you wont be able to restore to 3.1.2 to JB and then upgrade to custom 4.0 created with pwnage.
    Assuming you dont have a tethered JB/late model bootrom or even SHSH's on file for 3.1.2

6. kopart thread starter macrumors newbie

It used to be jailbroken and tethered. The bootrom is also 6.4 (so the late one, I'm assuming).

I also used to have a cydia app. Does that mean that I have a 3.1.2 SHSH stored somewhere? If so, how would I access it?

I can't seem to be able to downgrade my phone.

Thanks, guys!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you had a tethered JB forget it.
    You cannot restore to custom 4.0 IPSW at all. Just to official 4.0
    All you can do is wait for a new JB tool to be released for new bootrom 3GS models.

8. kopart thread starter macrumors newbie

But is there still a way to downgrade it to 3.1.3 and then jailbreak/unlock it then?

9. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

again, you'd need your SHSH's on file for 3.1.3.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only with SHSH's saved for 3.1.3 you can downgrade to that.