Unlocking and unlocked

metaxeno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Ok,

I am in college, my parents pay for my cell phone and are heads of the family account through At&t

It's very hard for me to get upgrades so I want to try the unlocked phone route.

My questions:

If I unlock my current 4S, will I still get service from my At&t account?

Also, if I buy an unlocked iPhone will I be able to use the At&t number and contracted account I already have set up for me-without being an account administrator or head or whatever it's called?

Thanks.:D

scabioustona

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Canada
Ok,

I am in college, my parents pay for my cell phone and are heads of the family account through At&t

It's very hard for me to get upgrades so I want to try the unlocked phone route.

My questions:

If I unlock my current 4S, will I still get service from my At&t account?

Also, if I buy an unlocked iPhone will I be able to use the At&t number and contracted account I already have set up for me-without being an account administrator or head or whatever it's called?

Thanks.:D
I'm pretty sure if your sim card is activated, you can just slip in the old sim to the new phone and it will work.

However, I'm not sure if the new 4GS can be unlocked. I know it can be jailbroken but not unlocked.

Comment

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
explain what you mean by upgrades sounds like you want to stay with At&t since mommy and daddy flip the bill. So if you talking service upgrades or phone upgrades unlocking won't matter. Unlocking will allow you to use another Gsm carrier such at T-mobile. What firmware and baseband do you have? Your parents would have to agree to transfer the number to another carrier since they are the administrator owner of the account. Have you discussed with them your not happy with the current setup?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.