Unlocking and unlocked

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by metaxeno, Jun 9, 2012.

1. metaxeno macrumors newbie

Ok,

I am in college, my parents pay for my cell phone and are heads of the family account through At&t

It's very hard for me to get upgrades so I want to try the unlocked phone route.

My questions:

If I unlock my current 4S, will I still get service from my At&t account?

Also, if I buy an unlocked iPhone will I be able to use the At&t number and contracted account I already have set up for me-without being an account administrator or head or whatever it's called?

Thanks.:D

2. scabioustona macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure if your sim card is activated, you can just slip in the old sim to the new phone and it will work.

However, I'm not sure if the new 4GS can be unlocked. I know it can be jailbroken but not unlocked.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

explain what you mean by upgrades sounds like you want to stay with At&t since mommy and daddy flip the bill. So if you talking service upgrades or phone upgrades unlocking won't matter. Unlocking will allow you to use another Gsm carrier such at T-mobile. What firmware and baseband do you have? Your parents would have to agree to transfer the number to another carrier since they are the administrator owner of the account. Have you discussed with them your not happy with the current setup?