Unlocking AT&T iphone 4s

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CheVive, Jun 23, 2012.

1. CheVive macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an AT&T iPhone 4s. I am going to be in London and Russia for the next 2 months, and so wanted to unlock the phone so as to be able to use UK and Russian SIM cards.

I first thought I needed to jailbreak it (per the article on Gizmodo in April about unlocking the 4s), but searching thru the forum, it seems that jailbreaking and unlocking can be independent.

Do I need to jailbreak the phone to unlock it? What are the best and easiest ways to unlock the 4s?

Any solutions that would be free and/or minimize information sharing with third parties would be particularly valued.

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Judging by this it seems you don't want to contact AT&T for an unlock, correct?

If so, you must purchase a gevey/GPP/R-Sim SIM adapter. What version of iOS is your iPhone running?

3. CheVive thread starter macrumors newbie

My understanding was that AT&T would not unlock it for me since I still have more than a year left on my contract... Are there any software only solutions to the unlocking issue? I'm running iOS 5.1.1

4. lapeno macrumors 6502

5. CheVive thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as I can tell, my firmware is 5.1.1 (9B206).. is there another number I should be looking up? Where can I find it?

Thanks!

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Since you are not eligible for the AT&T IMEI unlock, buying a sim interposer is your only other option.

AT&T unlock information

7. Timgs macrumors newbie

I asked AT&T to unlock my 4 s they said no as it was still in contract .a couple of weeks later I restored it and got the congratulations your iPhone is unlocked screen. Tested with uk sim card works fine. Ask AT&T they may or may not. I asked them via chat , they said no I asked them via email they said no but it is fully unlocked. Try it

8. lapeno macrumors 6502

What is their e-mail address?

9. Timgs macrumors newbie

I just went onto AT&T page , logged in and followed the contact us then sent the email from their page. I have no idea why they unlocked mine but they did