Unlocking Cellphones

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Hi, I'm in the middle of a 2 year cellphone contract and my cellphone got totally owned by a semi-truck (don't ask). Anyways, I need a new cellphone, but I don't want to buy one from the AT&T Wireless store at the stock price. The phone that I want is the Sony Ericsson T610. I heard I could go on ebay and buy an unlocked one or by one and unlock it myself... anyone with any experience on that?

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
I've got an at&t branded t637 laying around if you want it. I use it to charge the battery for my cingular-branded t637. How assinine is our cell phone industry? Totally.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
iceTrX said:
Your still going to need a SIM card for the phone, correct? Hopefully the semi didn't own your SIM card in your phone...
No the simd card is fine i tested it by plugging it in to my bros T610 triband euro phone

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I dont know about over there but you can buy unlocked phones on the net or take one to any local market and someone will unlock them for a fiver (£5).

Try: www.expansys.com they ship to foreign lands.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Firstly, buying a phone from ANY mobile service provider is a bad idea, as sometimes the have a special version of the original OS installed that locks out certain features (eg: maybe there's a feature they want you to pay extra, and if the phone's OS wasn't altered, you'd get that feature for free :eek: ). Plus they'd be locked. Just go to a place that sells mobile phones without a specific plan attached to it and grab a T610. It may cost you an extra $50 dollars, but at least you know you can use the original OS, untampered with and all. Unlocking the phone wouldn't provide you with the original OS.

I have a Sony Ericcson K700i, and I bought it clean. :)

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Abstract said:
Firstly, buying a phone from ANY mobile service provider is a bad idea, as sometimes the have a special version of the original OS installed that locks out certain features (eg: maybe there's a feature they want you to pay extra, and if the phone's OS wasn't altered, you'd get that feature for free :eek: ). Plus they'd be locked. Just go to a place that sells mobile phones without a specific plan attached to it and grab a T610. It may cost you an extra $50 dollars, but at least you know you can use the original OS, untampered with and all. Unlocking the phone wouldn't provide you with the original OS.

I have a Sony Ericcson K700i, and I bought it clean. :)
all u need is bluetooth from my alubook 15

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
Just buy any unlocked phone on eBay that will take a SIM card. Pop your old SIM card into the new phone and your good to go. That's what I did for my ATT phone i got it on ebay

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
That easy?

Hey mac fan is it really that easy? i have the t637 and for some reason i cant send SMS messages and i took it to the cingular store and they told me it was actually the phone, and i do remember the lady just taking out the sim card and putting it on one of their phones and sending a text from that phone, damn i think i just answered the question my self.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Problem is it may not be just an extra $50.

I am with Fido/Microcell (now owned by Rogers) in Canada, and I just bought a T610 to replace my T68i which was getting old and worn. I paid $75 for it. To buy it at the regular price would be $300 from Fido or even more for the unlocked version. Had I chosen to cancel my current account and start afresh, I could have picked it up for $25.

The T610 is a nice phone but I would have maybe preferred the T637 if it were available cheaply... ah well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.