Unlocking from ATT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DotCom2, Nov 8, 2017.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 601

I am going to be selling an iPhone currently locked to AT&T. Usually we just pass our phones down to people in our family who have also always been on ATT so unlocking is a first for me.
    If I am successful in unlocking the device from ATT what does that mean exactly? I mean I know it will work on T-Mobile and ATT of course, but does this mean it can also work on Verizon and/or Sprint if the new owner gets a sim from them?
    TIA

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Depends on what model you have. At a minimum it means it will work with any GSM carrier in the world. It might also work with CDMA networks like VZW and Sprint but depends on what model phone you have. Not a guarantee.

3. macher macrumors 65816

macher

To get it unlocked you have to submit a form on AT&T website. If it’s still under Next and or under contract you have to pay it off then you can get it unlocked.

4. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 601

Oh, OK. It's a 6 Plus.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Yeah, that part I knew. It's clear of all.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, the 6Plus will work on verizon and any gsm carrier in the world.
    Not sure about Sprint, they wont allow it to be activated on their network probably.

6. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 601

thanks so much! Good to know.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I had a horrible time trying to get an iPad unlocked through AT&T. I went through several levels of CS and tech representatives and finally ended up trading in the iPad to Bestbuy to put towards a new one. They couldn’t give me a good reason why they wouldn’t unlock it even though it was paid off. I am not an AT&T customer but, the person who gave it to me was. They simply refused to unlock it.. The same couple I recieved the iPad from just tried to get their iPhones and new iPads unlocked and only after a bunch of back and forth, they finally threatened to cancel their account if they wouldn’t unlock their devices. Their devices were unlocked yesterday.. I’m sure this isn’t everyone’s experience but, I’ve read plenty of similar complaints after a Google search

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Don't quote me here but I believe all iPhone 6 models are capable of working on VZW or Sprint. If you go over to Verizonwiress.net and try to set up an account it will first ask you for the phone's IMEI. Enter it and it will tell you if the phone is CDMA compatible. You can abandon the cart at that point. But don't do it until you get a message from ATT that your phone is unlocked or it won't work.

10. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 601

AWESOME! THANKS!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Oh wow. That doesn't sound good.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I went through the same nightmare with AT&T trying to unlock my old iPhone 6 Plus.
    Even though the bill and everything was paid in full they would give me the run around and wouldn't unlock it. Submitted multiple requests that got repeatedly denied.
    Once I submitted a BBB complain the next day they called me to let me know that the unlock went through and that they were very sorry :D

12. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

It’s an odd way to treat your customers no? After all, it is your phone. It’s almost like they don’t want customers to be able to switch providers with a phone purchased from them..

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tell me about it.
    And I was a customer for over 16 years with 5 lines and never any problems and always paid my bill right away.
    They didnt like the fact that I was leaving them for Tmobile probably that's why they were going out of their way not to help me.

14. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

It seems loyalty isn’t rewarded anymore. I was an Alltel customer until they were absorbed by Verizon so I’ve been with Verizon for around 20 years. I still have little luck getting upgrade/activation fees removed..

15. teddy bear jr. macrumors newbie

i just tried unlocking two att phones by activating with a verizon sim and it didn't work. it gave the sim not supported or similar type of error message. yes, i still have my phones sitting here unactivated lol.

anyone know if att is doing unlocks through their website if the phone was paid up front or are they making us wait?

16. macher macrumors 65816

macher

They should do it through their website. That’s why this time around I paid outright through Apple.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its not tied up to a contract or payment plan then they have to unlock it.
    Go ahead and submit the request on their site.