Unlocking iPhone 2g on AT&T Network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hondje, Feb 25, 2009.

1. hondje macrumors member

We just got an iPhone 2g off eBay for my wife. We wanted to use the phone in the most legitimate way possible. However, when we went to activate it through iTunes, we ran into a problem. We have an amazing FAN discount through her work, getting 24% off airtime minutes. We will lose that discount if we activate her phone through iTunes.

So, I was thinking about unlocking the phone and thus bypass the activation process. We also need a data plan though. Perhaps I can add the data plan for her current phone, a RAZR, but use it for the iPhone?

Has anyone been successful doing this? Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

You can probably jailbreak it and throw an AT&T active sim in there.

The only problem will be that AT&T will know your using an iphone and might bug you because your using iphone data with no data plan.

I'm not sure though.

3. hondje thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I imagine that they can see that we would be using an iPhone. Any idea what "bugging" me would mean? If I put a data plan on her old phone, would that work for data on the iphone?

4. easy-mac macrumors member

Go to AT&T and get it activated, or maybe call customer service and inform them that you have changed to the iPhone and they'll still give you the FAN discount. As far as I know the FAN discount is linked directly to the account and not the phone. I don't think it shows up when picking a rate plan because mine didn't show up when I was trying to order my iPhone 3G online. I ended up getting my iPhone in-store and they activated it so I don't know how iTunes activation deals with FAN discounts, but It's still worth a call or stop by the AT&T store to check.

5. hondje thread starter macrumors member

I called AT&T this a.m. and the woman said that the iPhone 2g is ineligible for any discounts?! She said the 3g is eligible. Sure seems strange, here I am offering them $20 more a month, and they won't budge. Yeah, Maybe I should go to an actual AT&T store.

6. easy-mac macrumors member

Perhaps she was talking about the data plan? Are you on a Family plan? If so just make sure that the primary line isn't the iPhone 2G and you will still get the discount.

7. hondje thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, her line is the primary line. We transfered the account from my phone to hers to get the discount. The woman on the phone said that we can't change the account back to my phone.

8. easy-mac macrumors member

Hmmm, I just did a Google search and it looks like Apple didn't allow AT&T to give FAN discounts on the iPhone 2G. It seems that some may have had success going to AT&T and asking for an override though. Read these threads and see if they are any help:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=535045
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5888671#post5888671
    The topics are both for iPhone 3G's but there is some information about getting the "APL FAN DISC OVRRIDE" for the 2G as well. I advise going in and talking to a person face to face, that always seems to work for me.

9. hondje thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the threads and all the replies. I'm leaving now to go to the AT&T store. Hopefully we can get the override done. Thanks to all!

10. easy-mac macrumors member

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you.

11. hondje thread starter macrumors member

Conclusion

Hi All,

I went to AT&T and here is what transpired:

To retain the FAN or NAD discount, the account must be in the employee's name. So we had to keep our account in my wife's name.

However, we had to put my iPhone 3g as the primary line and her line as secondary. FAN and iPhone 2g on primary line are INCOMPATIBLE!

So my line is now primary, hers is secondary.

Our FAN only applies to minutes. This may be different for someone else.

Yet, after all the account changes, when I went to activate the iPhone 2g, it STILL said that that we would lose our discount! I spoke with an AT&T rep on the phone again. They said that we may need to add the FAN discount, but not to worry, it will apply to our minutes!

So the bottom line, it all worked out! We will keep our FAN discount, but I will be watching the bill to make sure it all is taken care of. Thanks for your help!

12. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

That's good to hear that everything worked out for you OP :)

13. dave006 macrumors 68020

Glad it all worked out for you and yes the process is just too hard.:(

The original iPhone receives No National Account Discounts (FAN) due to the revenue sharing arrangement with Apple. Your FAN can and will still be active and valid for the Account even if you don't get a discount on the service. You just can't get any discount with the original iPhone on the Primary line. Some FANs allow for additional discounts that include Features and data service plans but it sounds like your's does not provide more then than voice plans.

The iTunes Activation process for the iPhone presents the warning message about having any "Discounts" removed. This does not apply on secondary lines on a FamilyTalk plan. This iTunes "Feature" has been there since the original iPhone launch.:confused:

Dave