Unlocking Iphone 3G in Mac

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by abr5, Mar 17, 2009.

1. abr5 macrumors newbie

I appreciate your help with guiding me to unlock my Iphone 3G:
    I have a mac running 10.5.5 version and like to unlock my iphone (baseband 2.28 with version 2.2.
    Can I use QuickPwn or I must use Pwange?
    Also, understand there is an issue with DFU mode and 10.5.6. Will I need to worry about this if I upgrade later to 10.5.6?
    Last, will I loose any data currently on my Iphone?

Thanks very much for your help.

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

10.5.5 is fine, no DFU mode problems.

Use QuickPwn to Jailbreak, you wont lose anything.

Then in Cydia add the yellowsn0w source (found on the Dev Teams site) and install yellowsn0w.
    :)

3. mokeiko macrumors 6502

I used the following tutorials without any problems. Make sure you have a powered usb hub between your mac and the iPhone (do not connect your usb from your iPhone directly to your mac) in order to get into DFU mode.

It is suggested not to QuickPwn

Before you can follow these instructions you must have a jailbroken iPhone and you must be on the 02.28.00 baseband(modem firmware). This means that you must be running the 2.2 firmware or have used PwnageTool(NOT QUICKPWN) to install 2.2.1 without upgrading the baseband.

First, jailbreak your iPhone3g
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1558

Then unlock your iPhone3g
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=2538

mokeiko

4. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Yeah man, don't use quickpwn. Pwnage gives you full control over the ispw, allowing you to select what you want to do with the baseband. Leave the baseband at 2.28.00 or lower and then you can apply that. Then you can eat that yellowsn0w you've always dreamed of.