Unlocking iPhone 3g with iPad BB HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sundogs, Jun 3, 2011.

1. sundogs macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

before I start I need to stress that I am not experienced with iphone hacking or any other hacking so some of my questions may seem a bit slow and I ask for patience.
    I bought a supposedly unlocked iPhone 3G from ebay...on advice from my other thread I am now informed that it is not.
    The modem firmware is 05.14.2 and it is on version 4.0.

I was recommended by other users to try Fuzzyband but unfortunately I phone does not have the correct bootloader.
    Now I am left to assume that my only option is to install the iPad BB. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I am told that some people have experienced GPS problems with this...at the moment that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make to get a working phone and now just a 2nd ipod touch...what I want to know is, if I experience problems with the iPad BB am I able to restore it using the step by step guide on this forum?

Any help at all would be really useful, I am desperate as the seller is being very unco-operative.

If anyone wants further details you can check my other posts...like I say I'm a bit of a novice and was wrongly informed by the seller that it would work straight out of the box with any sim card. (Must stress that I am from the UK and have a T Mobile UK sim)

Thank you

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Your GPS will die.

How basebands work is that with every new firmware released, the baseband is higher. 5.14, 5.15, 5.16, etc. We used to have hope that Apple would release a firmware with a baseband higher than 6.15 (to get rid of the iPad bb) but we discovered a while back that the 3G was capped at 4.2.1. So essentially, you have the iPad baseband forever. You can restore your firmware with custom IPSWs made with sn0wbreeze (windows) or pwnagetool (mac only), but your baseband will remain 6.15.00 forever.

Furthermore, if the eBay seller is giving you a hard time, don't give him positive feedback and report him to eBay. Do that before you permanently alter the phone.

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

THIS.

You have options through eBay/Paypal's dispute system which tend to be more generous to the buyer than the seller, but only if you can return the phone in the condition you bought it in. Research those options NOW, before you go any further.

Whether the seller did this deliberately or not, he sold you a phone which is not unlocked and cannot be unlocked via software without jumping through major hoops. This is not what you paid for, and you shouldn't simply let that go. Pursue it through eBay and Paypal, and get your money back.

The other question is, what carrier is the phone locked to? Most UK carriers will unlock on their end, some for free and some for a small fee. I'd again pursue that option before I'd even remotely consider using the iPad baseband, which essentially destroys a sizable chunk of the usefulness of your phone. (I use my GPS all the time, personally.)

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I see that the seller is in UK and the phone comes from UK. So, you might want to contact him again and see if he can get it unlocks for you through the carrier in UK. If this option is not available, the follow the steps below;

1. Restore your Iphone through Itunes which will bring your phone up to the latest firmware 4.2.1
    2. download Iphone 3g 4.2.1 firmware to your PC or know where your PC keeps this 4.2.1 firmware that itunes download to your PC.
    3. download ipad 1 3.2.2 firmware to your PC
    4. download Redsn0w 0.9.6rc17
    5. Run redsn0w, when it asks for firmware, please make sure you click on 4.2.1 as well as checking the box "install Ipad baseband", then follow the instruction from redsn0w.
    6. Once it is jailbreak, install ultrasn0w 1.2.3 from Cydia to unlock your phone.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Or, ya know, get his money back. :D

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

That is true. Open a claim with Ebay & Paypal.