unlocking iphone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickafc1903, Aug 29, 2008.

1. nickafc1903 macrumors newbie

planning on buying payg 3g when it comes out. can anyone advise best company website to go to for unlocking as would be wanting to use vodafone. looking for unlock where i can still get updates from apple if need be. any help much appreciated

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

There are claims (I have no evidence to back it up) that the Rebel SIM card can be used as a daughter card that can operate in conjunction with any carrier's SIM in the iPhone 3G.

In theory, since it doesn't involve modifying any Apple-supplied firmware within the iPhone itself, it is unlikely to lead to any permanent damage as Apple releases new firmware versions. That being said, Apple may be able to enhance its firmware to detect, and refuse to work in the presence of, such a daughter card.

Alternatively, you could pay a premium price to travel to a country where the iPhone 3G is legitimately sold unlocked and contract-free, and then bring it back home to use with the carrier of your choice. In that event, however, you would likely only be able to obtain warranty support by bringing the phone back to its country of origin.

4. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

oh sorry, didnt realise the 3g had been hactivated
    then yeah, turbosim or similar should work

6. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

get an officially unlocked iphone from overseas, My 3G is unlocked in Australia!

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

turbo sim = rebel sim basicly
    still a sim card based 'hack'

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Does that make it any less effective in achieving the thread starter's request? I'm asking this out of genuinely curiosity, because as I implied previously, I don't have any experience in using such a device to unlock my phone.

9. Dfndr90 macrumors regular

Dfndr90

I have had hit and miss luck with Rebel Sim. They keep updating their cards as fast as Apple updates the firmware. My 3g was working with Rebel Sim v.30, but now it's not. Rebel Sim is up to v.33, but I did not buy the sim programmer to upgrade my card. Rebel Sim is running a bunch of specials right now so I may get the programer.

10. nickafc1903 thread starter macrumors newbie

rebel sim

Have you had any problems with inserting and removing the rebel sim? Is teh sim programmer relatively easy to use as this seems to be (at the moment) the best way forward. Real pain but o2 coverage is extremely poor where i live and also where i work so hence the need to use a different sim