Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austin2048

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Holmes, Pennsylvania
Hey everyone. I'm getting an iPhone 3G from a friend upgrading to the iPhone 4. I have a T-Mobile plan and am not switching to AT&T. I am going to unlock the iPhone 3G. I have a few questions though. I don't have a data plan with T-Mobile, how would this work with apps that use an Internet connection? And how does that work with the email app? Can I check my email when I'm not on wifi and not have any charges? Also, I'm a noob with unlocking iPhones, is there anything I should know about it?

Thanks,
Austin

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Well the phone needs to have the old baseband. Have you checked what software version is on it? :)

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I believe it is on 3.1.3. Isn't there a way to downgrade though?

You can downgrade the software version, but *not* the baseband version. Sorry, but you won't be able to use this iPhone on any network other than AT&T for the foreseeable future.

Austin2048

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Holmes, Pennsylvania
Ok. Well thanks for your help. I hear that when the 4.0 firmware comes out there will be a working jailbreak and unlock, is this true? I can wait till the update comes out.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
You can downgrade the software version, but *not* the baseband version. Sorry, but you won't be able to use this iPhone on any network other than AT&T for the foreseeable future.

Correction, the baseband is downgradable in a small percentage of early-model 3G iPhones. These iPhones have the boot loader of 5.08. The easiest way to check and see if your baseband is downgradable is by jailbreaking the phone and installing Fuzzyband. Fuzzyband will downgrade your baseband if possible.
If that is too much, a new unlock should be out in a week or two for the new 4.0 firmware.

Austin2048

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Holmes, Pennsylvania
Correction, the baseband is downgradable in a small percentage of early-model 3G iPhones. These iPhones have the boot loader of 5.08. The easiest way to check and see if your baseband is downgradable is by jailbreaking the phone and installing Fuzzyband. Fuzzyband will downgrade your baseband if possible.
If that is too much, a new unlock should be out in a week or two for the new 4.0 firmware.

That's easy enough to do. If that doesn't work I'll just wait till 4.0.

Austin2048

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Holmes, Pennsylvania
When i do get this phone unlocked how will everything work since i don't have a data plan with T-Mobile? Will i be charged for checking email and using apps that require an internet connection when im not on wifi?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.