unlocking iphone 3gs for a relative, please help!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jetblk328i, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my aunt a iphone 3gs. I found a couple of good deals but they are all not unlocked. She needs it unlocked as she is not with At&t.

The ones I am looking at have the ios4 installed.

I am looking to unlock it with my computer then giving it to her. Obviously she will need to sync it with her computer, by doing this, will the unlock be lost?

Also, I read on here that you must jailbreak then use ultrasn0w to unlock the phone. However, same question, when She syncs it with her computer, will the jailbreak, and thus the unlock also be lost?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

You will want to make sure the iPhone is on 4.0.1 or earlier and that you save the SHSH via Umbrella or Cydia.

Once you do that, you can restore if needed and reinstall 4.0.1 and re-jailbreak. Then re-unlock with ultrasn0w.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

+1 and below

She will be able to SYNC it with itunes without a problem. However, the most important piece of information you must pass on to her is to never upgrade the software on itunes no matter how many times it prompts her to upgrade.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Correct: You need to get a 3GS with firmware 4.0.1 or below. Definitely, NO to 4.0.2.

Incorrect: Apple now only signing 4.0.2. Thus, you won't be be able to save SHSH hashes any other firmware, like 4.0.1 and below.

Correct: Sycning will not remove JB or unlock. Updating the firmware will. Thus, tell you mom never to update anything through iTunes. To be safe, disable / uncheck option in iTunes popup telling you about new updates available.

5. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Best thing you can do is disable the option for iTunes to "ask again" if you want to upgrade. That way it doesn't ask you every time you plug in and one day you accidentally hit upgrade.