Unlocking iPhone 3GS - Orange pay as you go!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mariachr87, May 4, 2010.

1. mariachr87 macrumors newbie

Hi there guys. I bought my iPhone 3GS from the online Apple store, with a pay as you go Orange sim card. Is there a chance Orange can unlock my iPhone ? and officially? I desperate need to unlock it because I m leaving UK and I really need to use it abroad otherwise is a waste of my money :(:(:(:(

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Without Jailbreaking, no. Give Orange a call, they might just make you orange with numbers.

3. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

actually some orange shops do, i think the fee is £20, my mate at work managed to do it at an orange shop. it might vary from place to place or some places might not even do it ( i dont think they do it officially like O2). just look around :).

if worst comes to worst just take it back and get it on O2 instead, then get it unlocked officially (£15 and an online form).

4. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I'm banging my head against the wall with Orange - I called up last week and asked if they could unlock an iPhone that was trhinking about buying on eBay. They said they could, i'd just need a Orange SIM card with £20 on to cover the fee. Fine I thought...

Bought the phone, SIM card and topped it up - called them today to get the phone unlocked and now they're telling me I need to be with Orange for three months before they will unlock it for me..so I've had to file a complaint and hopefully they'll sort it out for me!

Too much info, sorry, but hopefully it will help and give you an idea! :eek:

5. androiphone macrumors 65816

yes if you give orange a call they should be able to unlock it to use on any network (there is no online option like on o2) the unlock is official and makes it effectively a factory unlock iphone

6. achilus macrumors newbie

Orange France can unlock iphone if you pay 100 euro. is there anyone knows anything to confirm that money?

7. palcsaky macrumors newbie

Orange iphone 3gs unlock

I also bought a 4 month old iphone 3gs locked to orange off ebay. It came with a used PAYG sim card. I have a company phone which is also on Orange so I put that sim card into the newly arrived iphone and I rang customer services. I told them that I've been using this ebay iphone with my company sim card since Christmas and that I would like to have it unlocked now. First they refused because I haven't bought it directly from them and they advised me to call Apple and ask them to unlock it. So I called Apple but they told me that they only unlock iphones on the network's request. So here I am calling Orange again, this time they said I can have it unlocked but I need to have a PAYG sim registered with the phone so I did that whilst on the phone using the sim card that came with the iphone and I also topped it up with £20 to cover unlocking charge. I did all that on Fri 30/4 Now I'm just waiting for some confirmation text from Orange that my iphone is unlocked. They told me it will take 7-10 business days. Hopefully it won't take much longer. I will keep you informed when it gets unlocked.

8. mariachr87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I confirmed that today ! I called them and they told me I had to be with the network minimum 3 months. I begged them to unlock as I am leaving for home probably after a month.. But they said no! :mad: !!!

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Consider you guys very lucky they even unlock your phone at all. Try here with AT&T :mad:

10. palcsaky macrumors newbie

Update

Orange sent me an email today confirming unlocking. Plugged it into itunes and voila iphone has been unlocked. Took exactly 14 days.

11. muarrif macrumors newbie

ORANGE refusing to unlock iPhone

I purchased my iphone from Apple over a year ago with an orange SIM. My contract is complete with orange so I called them to unlock my phone and I was told the cost would be £20 but to my surprise the agen handeling my call told me that they are unable to unlock my phone as I did not purchase the phone from them. I was advised to contact Apple and so I did. Apple advised me that they do not unlock phones and its up to the carrier to unlock the phone which is what I understood too. I then called Orrange again and a different agent advised me that I am better off going to High Street shop to get it unlocked (yes I know that I didn't need Orange to tell me that). I am now very annoyed with Orange for not being helpfull and I will never go back to them. I am sharing my pain and the address for Orange Customer Complaints Department.

I will be writing to Customer Complaints Department at the following address:
    Correspondences Department
    PO BOX 10
    Patchway
    Bristal
    BS32 4BQ