Unlocking iphone 3GS problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by demonsaphir, Jul 15, 2011.

1. demonsaphir, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

demonsaphir macrumors newbie

Ok, if any one can resolve this i will be really happy. :D

I have an iphone 3GS using version 4.3.3 (8J2) and recently installed cydia as my warranty ran out. Im really happy with it and decided to try and unlock the phone via cydia.

I have checked several sites that advises the following:

Go to manage (after booting up cydia) then sources, select edit and put in the following address....repo666.ultrasn0w.com. Select it and within this is the app ultrasn0w.

I have selected this and it happily installs then reboots.

This is where the problem starts, my phone reboots and is constantly searching for a network, so after a few minutes i have gone into settings and the option for carrier and get the message unable to load network list.

Luckily i am using wifi and can go back into cydia to remove ultrasn0w.

Am i doing something wrong?? Or is this a bug that is waiting to be fixed?? All my apps are upto date in cydia :(

Please help...

Im on the vodafone network and want to put in my orange sim card.

Thank you so much :cool:

2. sallyomally macrumors newbie

what is the baseband for your iphone?
    with my iphone 3gs when it was updated to 4.3.3 it changed the baseband to 05.16.02 and this baseband can not be unlocked with ultrasn0w. I could not get any service with my carrier (optus). I restored it and found it was locked to some network so then Jailbroke it using sn0wbreeze, updated to iPad baseband, installed ultrasn0w and it is working fine (so far, knock on wood). If your baseband is 05.16.01/2 then your only option is to do what I did.
    People say that if you update to iPad baseband you lose your GPS but mine works perfectly. I think it only disables GPS in rare circumstances.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Your baseband is not unlockable, therefore Ultrasn0w had no effect. Use Redsn0w to install the iPad baseband and then you'll be able to unlock. This WILL kill your GPS and you will no longer be able to update or restore with stock Apple firmware, and instead you will have to create custom firmware using Sn0wbreeze (Win) or Pwnagetool (Mac).

Your internal GPS is dead, you're just getting less accurate GPS readings from the cellular towers, which is still possible after the iPad baseband installation.

4. demonsaphir thread starter macrumors newbie

I have decided i want to revert back to the original settings as i wamt to put some music onto my iphone. Can i just do a hard reset on the device and then sync it itunes?? Or is it too much hassle and should just leave it?? I dont want to brick my phone. Thanks.

5. demonsaphir thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone??

6. demonsaphir, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

demonsaphir thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i do a hard reset on the device to remove cydia?