Unlocking iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by robved, Oct 1, 2010.

1. robved macrumors newbie

I have a new iPhone 4 purchased from Apple/ATT. I want to use a sim card in China for calling local phones and wifi, etc. Is it possible to unlock my phone and use a Chinese mobile sim card while in China?

If I do this can I still update with system updates or must I re-lock the phone to update the system when new patches are provided?

Is it possible to restore the phone to the original locked configuration?

Will I void all warranties if I do this?

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

First, you need to JB the phone, and then, install ultrasnow through Cydia to unlock. If phone is on firmware 4.0 or 4.0.1, goto Jailbreakme.com through safari on the phone to JB. With firmware 4.0.2 or 4.1, you will have to wait for possible 4.1 JB, but that doesn't mean an update to ultrsnow will also be release. We will have to wait and see.

Everytime you update th firmware, your phone will be restore to stock, gone will be JB, unlock and so on.

Apple could refuse to fix your phone if they see it's JB. All you have to do is restore to official firmware, phone goes back to stock and Apple won't know = warranty all good.

3. robved thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds ok

Thanks for the response.
    Sounds like I have to use the original sim card when I update for the patches, too.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    If you're on 4.0 or 4.0.1 you can JB and unlock right now.
    If not you gotta wait for new tools to be released in the future.

5. robved thread starter macrumors newbie

Have 4.1 so I have to wait

Is there a website where you download the jailbreak/unlock software?

I bookmarked Cydia but I don't see the downloads for Ultrasnow or any others

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

If you're on 4.1, check the iphone dev team's blog for the latest updates. When a JB is released, it will be posted there. Until then there's nothing you can do. ultrasn0w will be available through cydia, just search for it after you're JB. But because of the baseband update that 4.1 brought, an unlock may not be available right away, maybe not for a long time.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Not to sound redundant, but this point can't be emphasized often enough. You want to make sure that you wait until there's a jailbreak and unlock available before you update. If you update, you will lose both your jailbreak and unlock (your unlock is software dependent). As others have said, there is no jailbreak or unlock available for iOS 4.1.
    One way to save yourself some trouble is to d/l Tiny Umbrella. Google for more info.
    Keep this information in mind and start reading through the threads. There is a wealth of information.