Unlocking iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrHallmark, Sep 3, 2011.

1. MrHallmark macrumors newbie

As the title says I am curious about unlocking the iPhone 4, is it possible to unlock it WITHOUT jailbreaking it and getting cydia? I honestly have no need for it, I don't mind paying for the apps and I want ios5. I read online that the only way to unlock is through jailbreaking it, so yeah my question is if I can unlock without the jailbreak, because I want to freely update the software without jailbreaking. Thanks.

2. toiday macrumors regular

The only way I know of is using Gevey Sim. However, you have to be very careful to purchase a right one because there are so many imitation of Gevey Sim out there. Refer to www.gevey.com on how to ID the right one. Although they say you need to jailbreak it but it's really optional. If you don't jailbreak it, you just have to do it manually. They also says it works with all version of iOS including iOS 5 Beta.

3. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Simply phone up your carrier and they should unlock it for £15 (in UK)

In US - sorry don't know.

4. toiday macrumors regular

In US (ATT), they would do it for free on regular phones if you've been with them for sometime. You can also purchase an unlock code from a third party if ATT can't provide you one for free. However, I'm not sure I phone 4 can be unlocked that way. If it's possible, they wouldn't need to have the gevey sim made.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T will unlock any phone but never the iphone.
    So if you have a locked AT&T iphone you're stuck with them.
    And only baseband 01.59.00 can be unlocked once JB on an iphone 4. So no JB then no unlock.
    But that baseband is really hard to find unless it has been maintained over the many firmware updates.
    The OP will probably have to use a gevey sim if he wants to unlock.
    And once 5.0 is out gevey will be useless unless you stay on any firmware below that.

6. MrHallmark thread starter macrumors newbie

Well here is the thing, I'm getting the phone for free FROM the united states. I will be using it in canada. Main reason I want it is, I work at the apple store and people ask me about it and I use the nokia N8 so I lose a sale if I don't know jack **** about the iPhone 4 nor do I have one.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you are getting an AT&T iPhone "free" from the US, you will not be using it in Canada. AT&T iPhones cannot be used with any other carrier unless you use Gevey SIM.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Apple does sell a factory unlocked version. Nothing extra required. That's the best bet. One major disadvantage of gevey is that you can't upgrade to iOS 5.x.x.

9. MrHallmark thread starter macrumors newbie

*sigh* Well I hope the one I get is not AT&T but assuming it is, my only hope is to JB it? I really only want it to show to customers. I guess I can hide cydia in a folder.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Jailbreaking does not unlock the iPhone. If the iPhone you get has the current baseband you will not be able to unlock it to use with another carrier the same way you could with older iPhones. As stated, the only way you would be able to use it with another carrier is with Gevey Sim.