Unlocking iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nikonitis, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Nikonitis, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

Nikonitis macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am new to the block so please bear with me.

I recently bought a used iPhone 4 and am beginning to lose the will to live. I have contacted the previous owner who has been very helpful in giving me the passcode to reset things on the phone. I have just received the instructions from the former network provider T-Mobile as to unlocking the phone, but am getting nowhere. I get warning signs popping up, error codes on iTunes and a panel on the phone asking me if I trust my computer. When I click yes it clearly doesn't trust me as the panel pops up again and again. I now understand I need the passcode for iCloud, or at the least I need the former owner to cancel his iCloud account. Can anyone shed any light on these issues please?
    I am running iTunes 9 on a 2 x 2.66 Ghz Intel Zeon Mac Pro with Mac OSX 10.4.11. It's an ageing Mac but I don't really see how the age of my Mac is an issue. It's a phone after all, that I am trying to connect with, so it must be something to do with the phone!!!

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

Update iTunes. You need iTunes 11.1 for iOS 7 phones.

3. smokescreen220 macrumors regular

smokescreen220

Unfortunately your mac will not run the latest version of iTunes, you will need a software update if your mac supports it...

4. Nikonitis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your input. I have since returned the phone to the seller and have received a full refund. I was told by T-Mobile (here in the UK) that the original seller would have give them the IMEI number which he did. This unlocked the phone, only to discover yet another hurdle, namely the ICloud account password etc. The seller couldn't remember this info so he said to return the phone to him, which I have.

I have now bought another new unlocked Iphone 4 with which I am very happy... mostly. Trying to upload my own ringtones is ludicrously complicated compared with Android, where all one has to do is bluetooth a music file from my Mac and then apply it as a ringtone anywhere I chose. With the Iphone I have to use the itunes store, create a file type that is compatible with iphones, find a a ringtone converter app, upload that etc etc etc...I have now tried and deleted 2 popular ringtone apps and neither will work after an initial successful attempt at uploading 3 files.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This doesn't solve your problem, but you REALLY should upgrade that Mac Pro to the latest OS X that it supports. 10.4 is so ludicrously out of date that you are exposing yourself to lots of potential security issues.

Most likely the newest OS for that machine is 10.7 (Lion). You will have a MUCH better user experience if you update, and be able to use the latest iTunes to set up newer iPhones properly.

6. Nikonitis thread starter macrumors newbie

I should mention that I have done this in the last 2 weeks or so. I installed Snow Leopard, so have the latest OS I can have with this machine. The new phone works with it now using IOS7.1 and the Mac is now running SL 10.6.8. So that is all good The little issue of apps not working is minor but frustrating. thanks for your post