Unlocking iPhone for eBay auction...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by angemon89, May 3, 2009.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Ok, so I am thinking of putting my phone up on eBay and I know that unlocked iPhone's tend to sell for more $$ on there, so I would like to unlock it then list it.

Question:
    1. Do I need a special sim card to unlock my phone so that I can put it on eBay? Or can I just run quickpwn on my iPhone and sell it like that. What is best?

2. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

If you have updated to 2.2.1 stock, then your firmware has changed and you won't be able to unlock anymore.

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Depends what phone you have. If you have the original iPhone then unlock away (I always just find the appropriate iClarified tutorial and follow that), but if you have a 3G then you can't unlock it anymore :(

4. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

If your 3G is somehow not updated to 2.2.1, and your baseband is still unmodified, then you can still unlock.

Take a look at http://www.yellowsn0w.net/

5. ayasinsk macrumors regular

You can still use TURBO SIM, just buy the right one on ebay for the 2.2.1, they cost about $12 or so, and problem solved. Re-list in on ebay as unlocked by including the TURBO SIM with it.

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

If it has 2.2.1, there is still a chance of being able to unlock it via software. If your iPhone was made before September 2008, then you can downgrade the baseband so yellowsn0w will work.
    In my opinion, hardware unlock Sim cards are all junk. I have tried Rebel SIM Card, TurboSIM, and the Gevey one, and none of them hold service for more than a minute, seriously.

7. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

I've upgraded to 2.2.1 and it is an iPhone 3G. How can I find out if my baseband is downgradable? My iPhone was replaced in December so I'm not sure if it was made before then.

8. ennui84 macrumors newbie

ennui84

I'd like to know how to downgrade as well.

I just bought an iPhone off eBay yesterday and would like to know how to do a downgrade in case it has the latest firmware because it isn't unlocked, just jailbroken.

9. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

You do not find out whether your baseband is downgradable. You just hope that you can still downgrade it using YellowSn0w, or via the unlock SIMS that other posters have stated.

To check your iPhone manufacturing date, read http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=549376

There is a link to a site that states it can drag out all the data of your Mac device via your S/No, but personally I wldn't do that.

10. ennui84 macrumors newbie

ennui84

Awe now I'm worried :( do you mean to tell me that i just bought an expensive paper weight? :confused:

I really hope i'll be able to unlock it :/

11. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

Should I even attempt to downgrade the baseband if my iPhone was made in November? Or is there no chance an iPhone made in 11/2008 will be able to downgrade?

I could just sell it as is without being unlocked or jailbroken, but I will probably get a lot less money for it.