Unlocking Iphone For Uk???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by matthughes64, Jul 24, 2010.

1. matthughes64 macrumors newbie

Hi, I want an iPhone just like everyone, but I am signed up to a £10-a-month contract with Vodafone in the UK. I am wondering can I just buy any second-hand UK iPhone off of eBay (3GS probably), and unlock it to work with my current SIM card? Will I encounter problems? Do I have to buy a 'pay-as-you-go' iPhone or 'unlocked' iPhone, or just any old one?

Any advice and information is much appreciated.

-Matt

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

O2-supplied phones are locked by default but it's possible to request an unlock. I don't know about ones sourced from other operators. It's best to get one that's explicitly sold as unlocked or from O2 (there may be a £15 charge to get O2 to unlock it).

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you buy a 3GS off of Ebay that is on firmware 3.1.3 you can JB and UL it now if you buy one that has been upgraded to firmware 4,0 or 4.0.1 you will have to wait a little while before you can JB and UL it. Make sure you know which carrier to which the phone is locked. You will need this to activate it if you ever have to restore it. The ideal situation is carrier unlock if you can get one.

4. matthughes64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks Nermal I have seen some on ebay described as 'unlocked', and nebo1ss I have managed to jailbreak my ipod touch with 4.0 (black rain), does that mean I can unlock an iphone on 4.0 aswell? Is it easy to unlock yourself? I've done jailbreaking so I'm not too bad at that sorta stuff even though it was awkward. Thanks.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you get a 3GS on 4 you will have to wait for new tools. Expected soon.

6. matthughes64 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks ill try and keep an eye on when they come out - itl be a couple of months anyway before i get one cheers.