Unlocking iPhone X when it is placed on the table?

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I am used to placing my phone on my desk and unlocking it with just touchID without even lifting my phone. With faceID I wonder how this would work? Should I lift the phone up to look at my face or bring my face closer to the phone or enter my passcode? Not as easy as touchID used to be I guess.

billcao

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
Waterloo, ON, CA
iPhone X supports "tap to wake" so just tap on it. The iPhone X video you can see on Apple's website also features a woman unlocking iPhone X at a swimming pool with the device placed on the ground.

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Ahhh. Glad they thought about this for us lazy ones. I find myself leaving my phone on the table and using just a finger to browse all the time.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
ya tap to wake is great. now we just need a "hey siri, face id" so we dont have to touch it....
This may actually work... well, not exactly like that, but with touchid when you invoke Siri by holding the home button it will authenticate you so that if you ask Siri to do something that requires you to be logged into the phone then you will already be logged in and ready to go. I don’t see any reason why it won’t work the same way with faceid. If your face is visible when you say “hey Siri” I would expect it to authenticate you.