Unlocking my iphone with at&t question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Abdu, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Abdu macrumors member

Hey, I'm not an at&t customer but I used my friends at&t account and I got to the point where I give the guy the imei number. So he put in the system but he said he got an error and it doesn't say why. And then he said it can't be unlocked but he said it doesn't say why!

So I made a second attempt by sending them a request this time using a different friend who also has at&t using this link https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
    Now I'm waiting. But why do you think the first time they got an error? He even called technical support and they also got the error and don't know the reason! And will the request thing work?
    Please help me understand, Thanks

2. daudi macrumors member

No need to worry about this because it happened with me also. i had an iphone 4 on AT&T, when i called them for the unlock procedure, they told me this is not on AT&T. although it was locked to AT&T. this can be a error on their system or it might be over loaded due to heavy unlocking orders.

just tell them that the iphone u bought is on their carrier and u need to unlock it. if the error is popping out then tell me any other alternative.

3. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

Well i didnt call again I sent them a request using my friend's account.

4. daudi macrumors member

did you fulfilled all the req's? if yes then the unlock will be done in no time. dont worry.:)

5. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

Well thats the thing I dont know if i did

6. daudi macrumors member

here is an example:

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone. Please retain your Request Number for reference. In order to process your unlock request, we must receive a faxed copy of your original receipt. Please fax us a copy of the receipt including your Request Number and IMEI to 1-214-782-6442 within 48 hours. You will receive the status of your request at the email address you provided in 5 to 7 business days.

Your request is subject to iPhone unlock eligibility requirements. If we have further questions or instructions, we'll contact you by email.

over here they ask me about the orignal reciept of the iphone. i did as non-customer.

this might be different at ur end.

7. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

Well did u have the original receipt? I bought it off craigslist

8. daudi macrumors member

nopes. i did it for fun :p

this was an example. the req might be diff at ur end. if you cannot unlock it, then i can get u factory unlocked at a price.

9. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

I gave my friend my imei and email and told him to do it for me.
    Then right after he did it I got this email on august 19, 2:38 am

We have received your request to unlock your iPhone.Your Request Number: 28562

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.Your unlock request is presently being reviewed.
    Please retain your Request Number for reference.You will receive the status of your request at the email address you provided
    in 5 to 7 business days.

Your request is subject to iPhone unlock eligibility requirements. If we have further questions or instructions, we'll contact you by
    email.

Sincerely,
    The AT&T Customer Care Team

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
    All replies are automatically deleted.

10. daudi macrumors member

then no need to worry. just wait for 5-7 days and the work will be done. :)

11. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

I just got this email :(
    Request number: 28562
    Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.

We cannot complete your request because we found no valid current or former mobile or account number for this request.
    If you have questions, review the general eligibility requirements for unlocking an iPhone.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our wireless service or iPhones, contact AT&T Customer Care at (800) 331-0500.

Sincerely,
    The AT&T Customer Care Team

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Then pay and use one of those IMEI unlocking services.

13. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

I probably will but Im wondering how I got rejected since I used my friends account and info?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I got rejected plenty of times and I also have a plan on AT&T.
    They're getting harder and harder to officially unlock iphones now.
    Its a pain in the rear.
    I wasted hours and talked to some incompetent reps that drove me nuts with their nonsense and dumb excuses as why they cannot unlock an out of contract 3GS.
    Felt like I kept talking to a wall.

15. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

I know right! I think it's because there's tons of people since april who unlocked their iphones and most of them didn't even have at&t. Then I guess the guy I talked to lied to my when he said they got a error!
    Anyways I'm gonna try it one more time this time using the phone.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    At the beginning they were unlocking everyone with no probs.
    Then it stopped and they made it a lot stricter and basicly now they try to make it very very hard even for AT&T customers with legit unlock requests to go through.
    Its more BS from AT&T.

17. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

Ok guys check this out its pretty weird. So after the email I tried to connect to itunes to check maybe they did it by accident. I used redsnow to deactivate*** BY the way there's no sim in the iphone*** and I connected to itunes but it still says There's no sim. So I actually hacked to my iphone so I can access it (by dialling 112 then cancelling)
    I then put a tmobile sim that doesnt work and installed SAM and when it opened it said *IPhone is factory Activated- this means you are hacktivated. Until you are not hacktivated your phone you can not be activated so SAM is disabled* What does that mean?

18. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

AT&T knows which IMEIs are activated on which account so if your phone isn't actually registered to your friend's account then it's going to raise a red flag.
    They might be able to ignore that or they might not.
    My phone was a warranty replacement from Squaretrade and I was trying to unlock it the same day that I opened the box so no, it had never been registered to my account.
    When the AT&T rep asked me why I was trying to unlock a phone that wasn't on my account, that's what I told her.
    The next day it was unlocked.

19. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

So do you think I should try again and tell them I will activate it later?

20. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE: After trying from friend's different at&t accounts, it turns out that the iphone i bought is still under contract. So I guess I'll just use one of those on ebay who do iphones that are still under contract. Can you guys suggest me a good ebay seller? I found one's doing it for $20 and less.

21. daudi macrumors member

if u want the unlock, i also offer for the same price and payment via paypal.

22. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

I haven't received an email from the seller yet but I check my imei online and it says unlocked! Im gonna go get my sim cut and let you know :)

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice:)
    Send me a PM with the seller you used.
    That's a great price.

24. Abdu thread starter macrumors member

Yaay its unlocked ! But why doesn't 3g work? It says E and its extremely slow!

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you're trying to use it on Tmobile USA then you will only get Edge and not 3G for data.
    Tmobiles 3G bands are not compatible with any iphone model but its rummored in the future that Tmobile will update their 3G to be compatible with the iphone.
    It is already in a few places in the US. I think Las Vegas is one of them.