Unlocking phone bought by someone else, features intact?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DavidDavidDavid, May 16, 2010.

1. DavidDavidDavid macrumors newbie

I need some clarification on this issue, as everywhere people seem to give me a different answer.

My plan is this: someone I know is going to get a new iPhone with their Vodafone contract. However, they are giving me the iPhone to use for myself.

Are there currently methods for me to unlock and jailbreak the newly bought iPhone to use it myself with another SIM card?

Also;

1) Would the vodafone SIM work in another phone, or only in the iPhone it came with?
    2) Would unlocking and jailbreaking the phone still mean I could use the unlimited wi-fi, maps and GPS?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

nobody can answer unless we know Iphones Mode number? Firmware what version? and what baseband look in Settings/general/about

3. DavidDavidDavid thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the phone has not been bought yet, but it will be soon.

The iPhone would be new and delivered in a few weeks, so I presume the firmware will be what firmware the iPhone is currently sold along with the mode numbers etc.

I'm checking before the person buys to make sure it would work.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

then nobody can answer 100% until we know the above. only 100% way is to buy a factory unlocked phone then you never have to worry about it.

5. DavidDavidDavid thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if I get this phone, is it likely I won't be able to unlock and jailbreak it?

A new factory unlocked phone is about £500, this is a lot, lot cheaper in price.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It is very unlikely that a new iPhone purchased right now will be soft-unlockable right now (though, as Labman says, it is impossible to be certain unless we know its baseband/Modem Firmware version). New phones mostly come with the latest baseband, which cannot be unlocked. It is possible that a new unlock will be available in the next couple of months, but that cannot be guaranteed.

7. DavidDavidDavid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the clarification. I suppose I will just get the iPhone now, hope for the best, and if it doesn't work just wait a few months until it will.

Just to confirm, the contract sim card would work in other phones, wouldn't it?

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

why not wait till after June 7th WWDC and see what the 4G officially brings to the plate. other wise you might have regrets.also allot of people will be selling there 3GS at that time.