Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saeed ahmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2017
hello i bought iphone7 but its locked on a certain carrier and i want to unlocked it how can i do that

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
hello i bought iphone7 but its locked on a certain carrier and i want to unlocked it how can i do that

Usually with great difficulty. The easiest way is to buy an iPhone "factory unlocked" from Apple. In your case it all depends on the history of your iPhone: What carrier was it locked to? Who owned it before you? Did they pay all their bills? Is there time remaining on their contract? If you have the "right" answers to these, and other questions I haven't thought of, the original carrier might unlock it for you for free. Then again they might not.

There are companies that advertise they will unlock your phone for a fee. Some are legit but some are scams and, depending on where you are, some could be illegal.

Saeed ahmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2017
Usually with great difficulty. The easiest way is to buy an iPhone "factory unlocked" from Apple. In your case it all depends on the history of your iPhone: What carrier was it locked to? Who owned it before you? Did they pay all their bills? Is there time remaining on their contract? If you have the "right" answers to these, and other questions I haven't thought of, the original carrier might unlock it for you for free. Then again they might not.

There are companies that advertise they will unlock your phone for a fee. Some are legit but some are scams and, depending on where you are, some could be illegal.
I am from egypt and i am the first owner and i already pay full fee and i have invoice and prove that its my iphone and i pay all price
[doublepost=1492099793][/doublepost]
In most cases, you pay for the phone in full. Which carrier?
I pay full in egypt for orange

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
So what is the carrier's policy on unlocking? Did you sign a long term contract with the carrier? Here in the US a phone is only eligible for unlocking after the carrier contract has expired. Why do you want to unlock it? Do you not like your carrier or do you want to travel and use the phone on other networks? As you can see "... I want to unlock it how do I do that" is a complicated question.

Saeed ahmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2017
i will check it now
[doublepost=1492103866][/doublepost]
So what is the carrier's policy on unlocking? Did you sign a long term contract with the carrier? Here in the US a phone is only eligible for unlocking after the carrier contract has expired. Why do you want to unlock it? Do you not like your carrier or do you want to travel and use the phone on other networks? As you can see "... I want to unlock it how do I do that" is a complicated question.
okay i want to unlock it because i have iphone 6 plus and iphone 7 i use both but iphone 7 i will use it with the other carrier but here in egypt nothing called to sign for a while then unlock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.